Chapter 1: The War is Over

Helena stood amidst the kingsguard, trembling. In her arms was the last surviving member of the Targaryen line in Westeros. Rheanesa Targaryen was the youngest child of Elia Martell and Rheagar Targaryen, having been born only a few weeks prior. Helena was the young babe's wet nurse; who had tried to smuggle the princess out of the castle after her mother's death but was caught.

Now they waited for the arrival of Robert Baratheon, the new king. The tiny princess began to whimper at the sound of trumpets blaring, and her nurse leaned down to shush her, trying to keep as much attention off the two as possible. Her plan didn't seem to be working; Helena could feel the eyes of every person in attendance on her.

Just as Helena felt she was at her breaking point the council room doors were thrown open and the usurper entered. Baratheon made his way towards the throne followed by Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell.

Helena shifted nervously, but to her relief the king seemed have not noticed her or the precious package she held; until Rheanesa's small whimpers turned into loud cries. Everyone's attention was suddenly on her, and just as quickly the usurper was standing before her, glaring ferociously at the child in her arms.

"What the bloody hell is this!" He roared in her face and Helena thought her legs would collapse from under her in fright.

His loud voice did nothing to silence the screams of the babe, and Helena was afraid that he would rip the child from her arms in the midst of his anger.

"Why does this Targaryen child still breath?! Was I not clear in my order? All Targaryens killed!"

Surprisingly it was Jamie Lannister that spoke on the behalf of the child, "She's is just a few moons old, my Lord. She has not committed any sin."

Robert's gaze turned to the young kingslayer, "She has Targaryen blood running through her veins. That is sinful enough. Kill her." He ordered and the guards began to move in on the nurse.

Helena let out a soft cry and started to back away from the men advancing towards her.

"Robert! She is but a babe!" Eddard Stark's voice stopped the men in their tracks. He had two small boys of his own, not much younger than this girl and he could not bear to see an innocent child slaughtered.

Helena studied the young man who had spoken up for her princess as the men around them began to yell at one another. Could he perhaps be the little princess's salvation?

"Well what would you have me do with it, Ned?" Robert yelled at his friend exasperated.

Ned remained silent for too long after that, Roberts taking his silence for acceptance.

"No, the best thing for the child will be a quick death."

"This child is not just a Targaryen, she is also a Martell and the kingdom of Dorne will not doubt raise hell if you murder this babe as well." Jon Arryn spoke up.

The men in attendance began to argue amongst themselves once again, all the while Helena was trying to keep the young princess quiet but the loud noises were upsetting her. Her attention was so focused on the babe in her arms that she didn't notice the Northern Lord that had moved to stand next to her.

He was looking down at the child in awe. She was truly a beautiful babe. Ned reached out and ran his finger gently down her cheek, and Rheanesa shifted slightly, reaching up to grab the man's finger griping it tightly in her fist.

Ned looked up at the woman and silently asked for permission.

Helena nodded hesitantly and Ned grabbed the princess from her arms, holding her gently against his chest.

"Stop." Ned commanded, and Robert turned to look at his friend, shocked to see the Targaryen spawn in his arms, "I will not allow you to kill this tiny, defenseless child."

"Ned," The king's voice softened slightly, "You more than anyone should understand why she must be killed. She's a Targaryen! I don't think I need to remind you of what her family has done to yours. They are responsible for the murders of your father, brother, and your sister..." the king trailed of, a sad look in his eyes.

"I know what Aerys Targaryen had done to my family, how could I ever forget? And while I do hate that man, I could never hate a child that has done nothing to warrant such hatred."

The room was completely silence, and Helena was holding her breath waiting in anticipation.

"I will take her to Winterfell with me." Helena let out a breath of relief.

The usurper stared, shocked at his friend before scowling, "As you will then, but Ned..." Robert turned to look at his old friend, "If she becomes a problem, it will be on your head. Now get it out of my sight, I never want to see that thing again."

~*~

Not even a week later the last little Targaryen princess in Westeros left Kingslanding with her nursemaid and her savior.

Ned Stark looked down at the two sleeping babes cuddled up together in the old wooden crib as he wife came to stand next to them. In the end, Ned had decided he couldn't lie to Catelyn about Jon's true parentage. At first she had been terrified of the prospect of someone finding out. But once she calmed down, Catelyn could understand Ned's reasoning's.

"Have you heard back from Dorne?"

He nodded, never tearing his eyes away from the children, "I have, Prince Doran sends his immense gratitude for saving his niece from Robert, and has requested letters from her when she is old enough to write, as has prince Oberyn."

She nodded, "They are, no doubt, very grateful. It's just terrible when happened to Elia and her two oldest children."

Ned was silent at that; he had seen what had become of the Martell princess and her two oldest. It was a sight he hoped to never see again, and he was glad to have saved this precious child from the same fate.

"They don't look much alike, do they?" Catelyn commented softly as she too gazed down at the sleeping children, her own little lord snoozing in her arms.

Ned chuckled, "No thank gods; Jon seems to take after my sister."

"My, but she is a little beauty. With her father's silvery hair and violet eyes, but her mother's good looks and tan completion..." Catelyn turned to look up at her husband, "What are we going to tell them? Are we even going to tell them anything?"

Ned shrugged, "I supposed we will wait until they are a bit older and tell them the truth. They deserve to know each other as siblings; their lives will be hard enough without feeling completely isolated from everyone else."

He turned to look at his Lady wife, "Once we leave this room, we will not speak of this again until it is time to tell the children."

Catelyn nodded in understanding before laying her own baby down beside his cousins and the two parents watched as the Targaryen siblings moved closer to the new addition, the three of them snuggled tightly with each other.

Catelyn smiled softly down at them, "They will be the best of friends."

Ned nodded, "Our children will want for nothing."

Catelyn looked up at her husband, "Do you mean to legitimize him?"

Ned stared down at her curiously, "Would you hate me if I did?"

She was quiet for a moment, thinking on what he asked before finally shaking her head, "No, I know you have done no wrong, a legitimization would not hurt me in the least. Our son is still first born and will inherit Winterfell."

Ned nodded silently, but did not answer whether he would request to have the boy legitimized.