Chapter 4: In the fire

When Ned and Catelyn sat Rheanesa down and told her of her betrothal, she was shocked to say the least, but she hadn't bothered to cry and scream about her unfortunate luck. The girl had always known that if she was to marry, the king would decide who. She had also known that whoever the king picked would not be in her favor, though she believed he could have picked worse.

Rheanesa knocked on Lord Stark's solar door, and upon his approval, she entered the room. She shut the door and moved to face Lord and Lady Stark, "You wanted to see me, My Lord?"

Ned nodded, "Yes I did." He motioned to the chair in front of his desk, "Have a seat, we need to talk."

Rheanesa moved to sit down, she was a bit nervous about the reason she had been called. She had heard rumors that the king was traveling to Winterfell, and Rheanesa had never more frightened in her life. The last time Robert Baratheon had seen her, he tried to have her killed.

"Is it true? I heard that the king was traveling to Winterfell, is it true?" She asked nervously.

Ned sighed, "Yes it is true. Robert will be here within the month."

Rheanesa nodded solemnly, "Is that what you wanted to talk with me about?"

"Partly," Lord Stark nodded and Catelyn placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Rheanesa, the reason I called you in here is to discuss your future with you."

Rheanesa looked at the two in confusion, "My future?"

Ned frowned and looked up at his wife for comfort, before turned back to look at her, "Rheanesa, the king has decided that it is time for you to marry."

Rheanesa was quiet for a moment, her brain trying to process exactly what had just been said. Finally she looked up gravely, "Who has the king decided to wed me to?"

The lord and lady shared a look and Rheanesa was getting more and more worried with each second that they were silent.

"The king has offered your hand to Daemon Hill, Tywin Lannister's youngest son."

Rheanesa had taken the news and accepted it with all the decorum befitting a princess. She had heard many things about the bastard son of Tywin Lannister, though none of it shed him in a negative light, except maybe that he was said to be just at cunning and vicious as his father.

But she had also heard that he was intelligent and witty and an excellent swordsman and strategist. It was also said that he had kindness in him, though it was not shown often.

No Rheanesa had taken the news well, much better than her brother and Robb had.

"What the hell does the king think he's doing!" Jon shouted as he paced his sister's room angrily.

Rheanesa sighed, "Calm down, Jon. There's nothing to be done about it. The king has decided." She spoke from her place on her bed where she was stroking her dragon eggs.

Robb grunted from the seat beside the window, "Just because he's the king, doesn't mean he should get away with things like this."

"I swear to the gods, if he lays a hand on you in any way, I'll kill him!" Jon exclaimed as he continued pacing.

Robb nodded, "One step out of line and you send us a raven. We'll be there before you know it."

Rheanesa looked at her two best friends, she had never felt as loved as she did in that moment. To know that they cared so much warmed her heart.

Rheanesa smiled tearfully, "I love you both so much." Then her façade began to break and tears started to leak out, "I don't want to marry him and leave you all!"