Chapter 6: Legitimize the Boy

The day after the feast the king had announced that the wedding would take place a fortnight from then, and with that preparations had begun. Lady Catelyn had focused on handling the planning for her while Rheanesa and Sansa's attention was solely fixated on her dress. In that time before the wedding Rheanesa and Daemon tried to spend as much time together as possible, getting to know one another, but it was hard with so many responsibilities forced upon them.

Rheanesa had received word from her Uncle's in Dorne. They were furious at the king for forcing her into the marriage, and with the Lannister bastard no less, and were deeply sorry for not being able to attend, living too far away to make it in time, but they wished her all the luck in the world and informed her of some gifts they were sending.

Rheanesa had only met her Uncles a handful of times, but she always enjoyed their company and hearing stories of her mother. She was sad they would not be able to attend. Rheanesa had been hoping to have Uncle Oberyn escort her to the wedding.

It was two days before the wedding and the men were meeting in Lord Starks solar to discuss betrothals between the Starks and Baratheons, and handle last minute paperwork for the upcoming wedding. Ned and Robert were deep in discussion while Tywin sat quietly nursing a cup of wine.

"Robert, there is one last thing I would like to discuss pertaining to the upcoming wedding." Ned spoke up as Robert and Tywin lifted their head.

Robert groaned in agitation, "What more could there be to talk about?" he questioned before mumbling, "I'll be glad when this damned wedding is over and this little dragonspawn is out of my hair."

Tywin and Ned glowered at the way he talked about the Targaryen girl. Ned loved that girl like she was one of his own, and he didn't approve of the way his old friend spoke of her.

Tywin himself was insulted for the way his soon-to-be good daughter was talked about, she was a future Lannister and she deserved respect.

"With Lord Tywin's approval I would appreciate if you would legitimize Daemon. I have raised Rheanesa as if she was my daughter, and I would not see her become a Hill."

Tywin was not surprised at Lord Eddard's request. If he hadn't asked the king Tywin was planning on doing it soon. It was always his plan to legitimize Daemon and have him inherit the title of warden of the West.

The man in question shrugged his shoulders, "I see no reason to oppose this; I have no other respectable heirs what with Jaime in the kingsgaurd and Tyrion being unfit for the position of Lord Lannister. I was planning on making this request myself in due time."

Robert frowned, "I don't see how this is necessary in the least. Lord Tywin is still young enough to father children, and if I legitimize the boy it doesn't really do much in teaching the girl a lesson."

Ned stood to his feet angrily, "What exactly are you punishing her for? For a war that happened 17 years ago? She was a baby Robert. She had nothing to do with what happened to my family or to you! I, more than anyone in this room has reason to hate her and her family, but damn it, I love that girl, and I would not see her humiliated as you feel she deserves!"

The King and Lord Tywin were shocked at Ned's exclamation.

"I have already agreed to the wedding, I stood back and watched you humiliate and hurt her upon your arrival while doing nothing to stop it, but no more! Rheanesa has suffered enough, we all have. And it is time to put the past behind us and move on with our live."

Robert was quiet for much to long and the two lordssat back and watched the king warily, awaiting his answer. Finally, Robert letout a defeated sigh, "Very well, I will legitimize the boy. Bring him to me."