Chapter 7: A Stark at Heart

Rheansa had to keep reminding herself to breathe as the women bustled around her chambers, getting her ready for the wedding. She had been awoken that morning by a handful of maids and Lady Stark, to help her prepare for the day, and she had not had a moment to herself since.

At some point Sansa and Arya had come in to join them, and the two sat back and watched the ladies bustle about the room excitedly. Sansa thought the whole ordeal was wonderful, and kept speaking on how she couldn't wait until she was in Rheanesa's place; but Arya was anything but pleased. She had been forced into a dress and was now bored out if her mind.

"Can't I go help the boys get Daemon ready, instead?" she had asked at some point, only to be shushed by both her mother and sister, causing her to sulk on the bed. That had been the first smile Rheanesa had bestowed all morning.

Once Rheanesa was dried from her bath and the handmaidens had helped her into her dress, Catelyn had shooed everyone off so she could help Rheanesa do her hair.

"You truly are the most beautiful bride I have ever seen." Catelyn told her as began weaving flowers into the girl's hair.

Rheanesa gave a small smile, "Thank you, Lady Catelyn. I'm so grateful to have you with me on this day."

Catelyn turned the girl to face her and leaned down, "I know I'm not your mother, and I could never replace her. But if she saw what an amazing person you had become, Elia would be so proud. Both of them would be."

Rheanesa gave another smile, though this one was a bit tearful, "You have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you, my Lady. You have been the only mother I have known in my life, and I would be lost this day without you."

Catelyn kissed the girl's cheek and stood back to her feet to continue fixing the young woman's hair, adding the finishing touches by placing a silver circlet on her head, that Jon had ordered be made for the girl.

"There," Catelyn announced taking a step back to admire the girl, "You are truly a vision of beauty."

Rheanesa stood up from her vanity and hugged the older woman, "Thank you, mother."

Catelyn let one tear fall before she dried her eyes and gave a watery smiled, "Ned will be here soon to escort you. I best go take my place. I wish you all the happiness in the world, sweetheart."

And with that Rheanesa was left alone with her thoughts for a moment. In just a few short moments she would be a married woman, no longer the last Targaryen, but a Lannister.

This had all come about so fast and Rheanesa was sure how she felt about it all, but she supposed it could be worse. At least her future husband was kind and handsome, and he actually seemed to enjoy her company. Perhaps there was hope for her future yet.

She stood from her vanity and began pacing the room, not being able to sit still a moment longer, as she waited for Lord Stark to come escort her. She was a nervous wreck and she wished more than anything that she had her mother and father with her today of all days.

It should have been her mother helping her prepare and it should be her father coming to collect her, but she supposed if her parents were here she wouldn't be marrying Daemon. And Rheanesa actually was happy to be marrying him, it could have been much worse.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Enter." She called out and the door opened to reveal Lord Stark, her maiden cloak draped over his arm.

His eyes searched the room for a moment before landing on her. Once he spotted her a large smile appeared on his face, "You look beautiful, my dear."

She sent him a small, nervous smile and smoothed down the front of my dress before walking over to him, "Thank you, my Lord." She paused looking up at him with glassy eyes, "for everything you have done for me. I may be becoming a Lannister, and I might have been born a Targaryen, but in my heart I am a Stark of Winterfell. I owe you so much."

He smiled kindly and too her face in his hands, "It has been a pleasure raising you these past seventeen years. You have exceeded all expectation held before you and have rose above persecution. I could not be more proud of you than I am at this moment, and I know that you will succeed in all that you do."

Tears filled her eyes and she threw her arms around the older man, "I love you... father."

Ned responded by tightening his own arms around theyoung girl, "I love you as well, my daughter."