Chapter 5: The King's Arrival

This time around, Rheanesa stood behind the Starks, with Theon on one side and her betrothed on the other. Daemon's father was standing between Lord Stark and Robb, and Jon between him and Sansa.

Rheanesa watched as Banners adorned in lions and stags filled the whole yard of Winterfell. The bright colors they brought stood out against the white paleness of the North. They paraded through the yard and she stared intently at the king's Guard, as they surrounded the king.

Old nan used to tell her and the stark children stories of the usurper and how he defeated her father at the Trident. Old Nan had said that he was strong, handsome, and tall. That he could wield a giant war hammer, larger than her head and heavier that and other weapon ever created.

Rheanesa used to wake from nightmares of the man killing her father at the trident as she stood on the sidelines and watched the light leave his eyes. But as she stared at the overweight man, struggling to dismount his horse, she doubted he could lift anything heavier than his dinner plate. It made her so mad to think that this boorish oaf had killed her father, the great Rheagar Targaryen.

Rheanesa's hands were clenching in anger and she was fighting every urge she had not to attack the man that had murdered nearly her entire family and left her completely alone. Rheanesa looked down when she felt something brush her hand, and watched as Daemon uncurled her fist and situated his own hand there for comfort. She looked up at him, but he was staring straight a head, though he did have a small smirk on his face. Rheanesa had a feeling he knew what she had been thinking about.

Once the king had finally dismounted his horse and approached the Starks, all of Winterfell fell to their knees. Robert motioned for Ned and his family to rise, and the two men stared at one another for a moment.

"Your Grace," Lord Stark addressed after kneeling.

"You've gotten fat," The king stated.

Father never would have acted with such incivility, he was a true king.

Lord Stark quirked an eyebrow and glanced at the king's large girth, and suddenly the two men were laughing and embracing. Rheanesa could never understand how such a good, noble man could ever be friends with such a horrid person as Robert Baratheon.

The king moved his attention to Lady Catelyn, "Cat!" he exclaimed and embraced her.

"Your Grace," she replied tightly. It was not secret around the keep that Catelyn was not fond of Robert.

"It's been nine years," he began stepping away from Lady Catelyn and back to Lord Eddard, "Why haven't I seen you? Where the hell have you been?"

"Guarding the North for you, your grace," Lord Stark replied, bowing his head again, "Winterfell is yours."

Rheanesa watched as he greeted Lord Lannister as well, "My lord, thank you for joining us on such short notice. I am sure you understand I want this whole mess taken care of immediately."

Rheanesa was glad to have Daemon's hand holding her back, because at the moment she wanted to reach out and attack the king with all her might. She was not a mess to be cleaned up and swept away. She was a princess and her brother was the rightful heir to the iron throne. The throne he sat his fat ass on daily.

Tywin bowed his head, "It was no trouble, your grace. I understand completely." Though he sounded formal enough, his tone was stiff, And Rheanesa had noticed Daemon's own hand tightening on hers in anger.

"And who have we here? You must be Robb." King Robert said reaching out to shake Robb's hand. Robb didn't reply, just gave the King a nod.

Rheanesa thought it funny that the only one in Winterfell who seemed to like the king was Lord Eddard.