Chapiter 3: Friends? (2)

Eric is a giant blond, with very blond hair and sky blue eyes that make him look like Chris Hemsworth AKA Thor. If I remember correctly, during his presentation, he said that he was twenty years old, like me, and of Norman origin. The more I look at him, the more I become aware of his size. I would not like to stand next to him: being only 5,2 feet, I would look even smaller next to this approximately 6,3feet giant.

Tim is a little smaller but more imposing. However, his muscles are not the first thing you notice. His eyes attract all the attention; golden irises contained by slightly slanted eyes surrounded by long black lashes. They contrast with his long black curls falling on both side of his face. Two rows of piercing on each ear complete this intriguing character.

I'm a little apprehensible (well a lot) about what's going on, but I'm determined to try my best. My shyness and lack of self-confidence have already made me miss too many opportunities. So, without taking the time to think, I blurt in Korean!

- My name is Ana. I am twenty years old and I am from Congo, but I have always lived in France. I arrived in Île de France about three months ago. I'm chilly...

I am stopped in my tracks by Tamara who gives me a little pat on the shoulder. I then notice the mocking smiles of the two boys and the heat rises to my cheeks: fortunately, since I am black, I cannot blush or at least it cannot be seen ...

Oops! Maybe I went a little overboard. But the ice is broken and the four of us laugh. After this little incident, we discuss our hobbies, our passions... Etc. Timothy aka Tim and Tamara master Korean perfectly while Eric and I still sometimes look for our words. The conversation is still fluid. After about an hour of dialogue, we must present our discoveries.

Tamara commence :

- Eric and Tim met four years ago: Eric wanted to learn about the training to become a volunteer firefighter and he came across Tim who had become a volunteer firefighter two years earlier. They got along well and became friends.

- "Timothy is twenty-four years old and Is French-Korean. He is fluent in French, English, Chinese and Korean, but has trouble with Spanish! A little ironic, isn't it? He's Billie Eilish's biggest fan and he's proud of it! Eric says laughing at his last sentence.

- "And I'm not ashamed of it! Everyone should listen to her music! She sings beautifully well and conveys messages through her songs". Timothy replies before continuing "Anaelle has just left her native south to join us in the Parisian cold. She has excellent musical choices, compared to some people since she listens to, among others, Billie Eilish. She has been playing guitar for a long time and loves singing. »

This sentence surprises me because I haven't told anyone about my musical talents... I wonder how he knew... But this matter will have to wait since I still have to introduce Tamara.

- Tamara loves pastries but doesn't know how bake, she's an athletics enthusiast and according to the boys, she could beat us all in the race! »

- "No I wouldn't beat you, I'd wipe you out if we raced," Tam laughs, pressing my words.

- "Thank you to all four of you. It was very interesting." Mr. Lee says.

We return to our seats and wait for the class to end while listening to the other students.

As soon as Mr. Lee resigns lets us go, Tamara grabs her stuff and rushes to the exit door.

- "See you tomorrow!" She exclaims, leaving us behind.

I put my things in my bag as quickly as possible and try to catch up with her but as she is as fast as a gazelle, I lose her before even reaching the university complex. I stop running, hardly breathing after using all my energy in this thirty second race, take out my water bottle and take a sip. The boys didn't lie: she's really fast.

- We told you she was fast! laughs Eric who surprises me when he arrives behind me.

I choke on my water and get a coughing fit. Eric starts hitting me on the back to relieve me but it doesn't have the desired effect. So I try to calm down while getting away from his big hands. When I'm calmed down, I exclaim with a laugh:

- Did you see the size of your hands?! Next time avoid putting all your strength to relieve someone who is half of your weight.

Eric looks at his hands, then understanding the problem, scratches his head and apologizes:

- Sorry! I didn't think about it, I didn't hurt you too much, did I?

- No, don't worry about it. Thank you for trying to help me. Do you know why Tamara left so quickly?

- Ah um...

- "She had something urgent to do." Timothy says. I had not seen nor heard him coming.

- Ok...

I feel that they do not tell me everything, but I refrain from asking any other questions. Probably not wanting to lie to me, Eric decides to go home "see you tomorrow!".

- Well, I'll go home too ...

- Wait, Timothy?

- Yes?

- How did you know?

I do not need to specify what I am talking about, he understands my question.

- Your hands.

I look at my hands and details that I no longer notice are now obvious to me: short nails and slightly scratched fingers...

- I also play a little so I easily notice this kind of details. Let's get going.

- Ok. How do you get home?

- I walk, my house is 10 minutes from here and you?

- I'm taking the subway.

- See you tomorrow, then?

- Yes. See you tomorrow.

We part ways at the entrance to the metro station.

I am very happy about my day: I made myself not one, nor two but three friends today...

Île de France : Region in the north of France that surrender Paris.