Chapter 8: An Afternoon at Eric's (3): Leah

"Children are luminous enigmas."

Daniel Pennac, Messieursles enfants

It's crazy how easy it is to bond with a child! Leah comes even closer to me and starts telling me what's going on in her little life. Her best friend is Anabelle but she calls her Ana like me. They live in the same building and when Tamara is not there, she often spends time at her home.

Leah and the boys seem to know each other well. Leah gets along particularly well with Timothy: it's like they've known each other forever. I guess before I arrived, she spent a lot of time with them: now that I know of her existence, I hope that their life will come back to normal...

She is four years old as she told me while showing me four fingers. For a child her age, she speaks very well. The five of us are watching " Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper". Eric and Tamara are not even pretending to be interested in the film and are talking about something else while Timothy and I, are watching the movie with Leah. Well, I am watching; for all I know, Timothy could just be lost in his thoughts...

One thing I forgot to say about Leah is that she loves asking questions. So, we are halfway through the movie, when Leah begins her inquisition:

- Tata Ana, why have I never seen you before?

- Because I used to live in Toulouse. Do you know where it is?

- No, it's far away?

- Yes, it's quite far from here.

- And why did you move from your house?

- Because I wanted to discover other places.

- "And what about your mom, she agreed? My mom never wants me to walk around on my own!" She exclaims, crossing her little arms to show that she is sulking.

- And your mom is right, you know, it's very dangerous for little girls to walk around on their own. When you are a big girl, you will be able to go wherever you want.

Leah looks at me while thinking about what I just said and then replies:

- But you are still small too, why can you?

After that sentence, no one talks for several seconds, and then the boys and Tamara start laughing. Even Timothy is laughing! It's the first time I've seen him like this. I've always known that he had dimples but right now, the make him cuter... Wait, what? Did I just think that? No no no, it's your imagination... Well, let's get back to the topic!

Leah looks at her mother and her "uncles" not knowing that she is the source of their hilarity. While trying to stop laughing, Eric says to me:

- You see pequeñita, when I tell you that you're small, I say the truth!

This idiot even has tears in his eyes, he really finds it funny! Leah continues to look at us confused and then finally asks me:

- Why are they all laughing?

- Because they are mean.

- But Mom says that people shouldn't be mean to others.

- Yes, she's right. That's why they don't get to eat strawberry pie.

At that moment, the three of them stop laughing and the mother and daughter exclaim:

- Did you buy a strawberry pie?!

- No, I made it.

- "You know how to make strawberry pies?" asks Leah stunned.

- I know how to make all kinds of pies. Actually, I know how to make all kinds of desserts.

- When are we going to eat it?

- We could eat it now if you want.

Leah forgets about her movie from the fridge, gets up and rushes to the kitchen. I follow her closely under the gaze of Tamara, Timothy and Eric.

I take out the pie and put it on the dining table and then I put Leah on a chair. After I've served her a slice, she takes a bite, opens her eyes widely and asks me:

- It's so good! Did you REALLY make it?

- Yes, I did.

- Could you teach me? Mum doesn't know how to make pies, cakes or cookies...

- Yes, and I'll teach your mom, too.

- Thank you, tata Ana! You are the best!

I kiss her on the forehead and go to the salon and tell my friends:

- Come on guts, the pie is way too big for me and Leah.

Tamara doesn't need me to say any more, she gets up and like her daughter moments earlier rushes into the kitchen. When I told you that she would be happier to see the pie than me...

Eric hugs me and kisses me loudly on the forehead before he says to me:

- I knew you couldn't stay mad at me for long, pequeñita.

Timothy is the last to stand up, I can't resist the urge to tease him:

- So, so you make fun about my height, too?

- In my defense, Leah was the one who made me laugh. I didn't expect her to say that. I couldn't resist. Besides, everyone knows that everything small is cute.

He smiles at me and heads to the kitchen. I stand still for a few seconds. "Everything small is cute." I don't know what's happening to me today but I'm affected by everything Timothy says or does. It's probably because the day was full of emotions...

The afternoon ends in joy and good humor. Tamara and Leah are the first to leave because Leah can't sleep too late. Before she leaves, Tamara tells me:

- Thank you very much for this afternoon, thank you for being there for Leah, thank you for not asking any questions, thank you for not judging me, above all, thank you for being you and for not changing after meeting Leah.

She hugs me tightly and then leaves. The words she just told me are very touching, my eyes are filled with tears. I am glad to have reassured her.

As we go the same way, Timothy and I go home together. While we're walking to go to the metro, I ask him a question that's been bothering me since Leah's arrival.

- Your Korean name is Tae?

- No, it's Tae Il but Leah has always called me Tae because it was easier for her when she was learning to speak.

- Tae Il... Why do you prefer Timothy?

- I don't really have a preference, it's just easier to use my French first name in France you know?

- Yes, I see. So, you wouldn't mind if I called you Tae Il?

- Not at all, Anaelle. You can call me however you want, I don't mind.

We smile and continue walking. When we're in the subway, I ask him another question:

- How come you've known Leah for so long? I thought you all met two years ago, but when I hear you talk, I feel like you've known Tamara and Leah for a lot longer.