Prologue

A/N: This is the first ML story I wrote but due to my laziness I didn't publish it yet because I lost inspiration and interest in this story. Hopefully by doing this I can rekindle my inspiration but I still have an obligation to create my next book with a working title "Being Pulled Under" or "Chains of Gold and Red". That story is about Pirate Ruby x Prince Aurelius with Ruby kidnapping the prince and then breaking him through sex. Anyways enjoy this one.

A tall bulky muscular man sat with a small girl near the cliff watching the dazzling colors of the sunset unfold before them. The girl munched on the cookies in her basket and tried offering some of them to the man beside her who refused saying that he'll get fat and she too would get fat if she continued on eating them and that boys wouldn't court her if she's fat. Offended the girl tried hitting him but was barely able to hurt him as he drank in his flask filled with firewater (alcohol).

She stopped hitting him and fumed silently beside him with her cute pout and her arms crossed. It did nothing but melt his heart.

A long silence befalls the two. "The moon this night is round." Ruby stated gazing at the pale moon already visible in the afternoon sky. While Ruby gazed at it in wonder, Roger looked at it with a subtle hatred.

Roger drank long in his flask and turned serious. "Ruby," he addressed the girl who turned her head up to meet him in the eye. "I won't be here forever you know that, so I need you to be strong. Stronger than anyone you know and even me." The girl only tilted her head, not able to comprehend his words.

"I can see that you'll grow to become a great fighter. I can tell because you almost beat the living hell outta that Rick boy yesterday." Roger laughed thunderously embarrassing the 9-year-old.

"It is a dangerous place out there, and I hope that the time will not come when you go out there and be eaten alive by the evils of the world. There are far worse evils than just the monsters lurking in this forest."

"Roger, what are you saying?" The girl asked, her confused face was making Roger fight himself from hugging her and looking like a pedophile.

The man did not answer. He heaved a sigh and stood up. "Hell, you'll make lots of boys bend their knees to you once you grow up. Wish I was a few years younger." He mumbled inaudible to the girl and scratched the back of his head.

"You're so weird Roger." Ruby smiled.

"Come on tiny let's go back to the village." He grabbed a cookie from her basket which surprised the girl and ran off leaving her behind.

When the sun rose the next day, the hunter was nowhere to be found. Not even a wit of him was present. The only thing left of him was the knowledge he imparted to the villagers. Ruby was most disappointed but life goes on for her.

She continued her training with the most complex weapon of her village; a scythe. Every morning and every afternoon she would train in the forest with her grandma's scythe and would come back home bruised and bleeding due to the difficulty of wielding the said weapon but every day her skills would increase. She dreams to one-day blossom into the greatest scythe user in their village.

One day when she was training and using logs as target practice, her grandpa suddenly emerged from the woods.

"Grandpa?!" she said in a panic. "Please don't tell this to grandma!" her eyes were wide with fright.

"I won't but I demand something in exchange." her grandpa spoke softly.

"I will do it. I will do the gardening, I will feed the pigs without complaining, I will collect the water. Anything, just don't tell grandma!" she bargained in desperation.