The past coming back

Trigger warnings: implying death, fire, suicide attempt, blood, death, angst, self harm

Romans PoV
I walked downstairs ready for school, I entered the living room and saw my mother asleep on the couch. Wine bottles on the floor and a picture held to her chest. I cleaned up the bottles and put a blanket over her removing the picture from her loose grip.

Looking at I teared up, it was a photo of Remus and I a day before he died. We attended a fancy dress party.

I was wearing a white suit with gold embroidery on the chest and shoulders and a red sash. I also had a golden crown and a sword, both stolen from the schools theatre prop cupboard.

Remus had a black suit similar to mine but with more frills and tassels. His sash was a Forrest green and he held a mace above his head ready to hit me. And he did. A second after the photo. I chased him out of the house after it and tackled him on the grass.

I put my fingers to my neck and bought out a necklace with a sword with rubies embedded into it. Remus had a pace with emeralds.

"Shouldn't you be in school?" I heard a harsh voice behind me. It was my dad. I know he blamed me for Remus' death.

He's not wrong. I did kill my brother.

Wiping away tears, I nodded and left for school without a word to my father.

I arrived at school and headed towards Patton, Emile and Logan. "Hey guys!" I said and smiled. My smile fell when I saw their worried expressions. "What happened?"

I looked around to see where who was missing. Virgil and Remy.

"No ones heard from Virgil since last night" Emile said worriedly. "And he's no. 2"
I froze.
"I'm sure he's ok!" Patton tried to remain positive. Logan nodded slightly. "He hasn't given us no reason to be worried. Yes he does get bullied but I have observed people like Tom, they don't cause trouble until later in the day." Logan pointed out. The three of us nodded not really taking in what he said.

Remy joined out group and almost instantly our phones went off. Reading the message I sprinted to my car, followed by Remy. Who was surprisingly quick in heels.

"Remy. You know the way to his house. Lead the way" I got into my car followed by Patton and then Emile who both sat in the back. I dumped my bag in the front. Logan got in with Remy.

Remy sped off, quickly followed by me.

                                 ☆☆☆

We parked our cars outside Virgil's house. To my horror, his house was burning. I got out and ran towards the door only to be stopped by Logan, who had my arms wrapped around my waist tightly. He lift me up and carried me away from the house.

"Are you insane?!" He yelled, anger and fear in his voice. The others gave me worried expressions. I looked back at the house.

"I-I can't lose someone else to a fire!" I half yelled before running into the house. I heard Patton yell my name, only to be blocked out by the crackling fire.

The heat was unbearable. The smoke was thick. I searched downstairs but only found empty and unfurnished rooms. I entered another room which contained an alcohol cabinet. It exploded and sent me flying back into a wall.

My vision messed up and the wind was knocked from me. Getting up, desperate to find Virgil I ran for the stairs.

The smoke was worse and I had to keep low so I didn't burn or inhale more smoke.

The first two rooms were empty. The bathroom had an empty box with red splatters on the floor and the sink.

I crawled into the third and final room where I saw Virgil sprawled on the floor.

I noticed an empty pill bottle in one hand and a pocket knife in the other. I rushed over to him and picked up his light and limp body and went back down the stairs.

I opened the door and collapsed outside, cradling Virgil in my arms.

Paramedics took Virgil from my arms and put him on the stretcher. Another came over to me. "Can you come with me? I need to check you over" I nodded and went to the second ambulance.

I sat down and looked over at Virgil. Paramedics were working quickly and worried filled me. Tears filled my eyes and I tried blinking them away.

"It's best not to look" the woman said softly, smiling slightly and putting an oxygen mask on me. I nodded and looked at the other four.

Remy was sat on the grass, his legs outstretched. He was leaning against the wall. He was looking at Virgil and was rocking a crying Emile in his arms. Emile had his face buried in remys chest but it was obvious he was crying.
Logan was holding Patton tightly and whispering in his ear. Patton nodded every so often. He had his arms wrapped around Logan's waist.

I faintly heard someone say "we have a pulse" and I looked over at Virgil. He was put in the ambulance and attached to drips and IV lines.

"Can I go with him" I asked lifting my mask up to speak.
"You're going anyway, you inhaled a lot of smoke and we need to look for and treat any burns." I nodded.

She went over to the others and came back a couple of minutes later. "Your friends can come back at visiting hours."

"Thank you" I said smiling slightly. I got in the ambulance and so did the paramedic and we drove off.