Lies to save my ass

Trigger warnings: mentions of self harm, suicide attempts, fire, scars, burns, hospital setting

Virgil's PoV
I remembered the silver knife, scarlet drops. And fire. Suffocating. The pills helped, that's when my vision went and everything felt numb.

I opened my eyes, light blinding me instantly. I closed them again and didn't open them again for a couple of minutes.

When I did, I didn't recognise where I was. Panic started to set in and I sat up too quickly.

Something pulled at my arm. Looking down I saw fluids leak into my arm. Bad childhood memories resurfaced. Repressed memories.

I ripped out of the IV and took off the oxygen mask. I noticed more things, such as my arms were bandaged up from my wrist to elbow.

The monitors beside me went quiet and doctors rushed in. I curled up up away from them.

"Hey it's ok, we're here to help you." A nurse smiled and approached me. She reminded me of a kind social worker from then I was thirteen. I relaxed slightly trusting her.

I'm the corner of my eye I saw something shining which bought my guard up again.

"It'll help with the pain." The same nurse said again and I nodded. "My names Julie. I'm in charge of looking after you so I'll make sure you're always ok." I nodded again.

The other doctors left me with Julie. I let her inject me with something which caused me to relax.

"Can you put the oxygen mask back on?" She asked gently moving slightly closer. I shook my head.

"N-no" was the only thing I could get out. She nodded and took it away.

"I need you to answer some questions ok?" She sounded serious as she got out a pencil and notebook. I already knew what she was going to ask.

"What's your name?"

"Virgil Fey" I mumbled picking at where she injected the needle.

"Ok and how old are you?"

"16, 17 on December 17th." I was too young to stay here without parents permission. Shit.

"Do you remember what happened?" I shook my head. I didn't want to tell her about what I did.

"I just remember smoke... a lot of it." Julie nodded and wrote down what I said.

"You were found by one of your friends who is also here in your burning house. Arriving to the hospital you had visible cuts on your arms and a pill bottle with of antidepressants in your stomach. Upon closer inspection we found scars on your torso and legs along with bruises and burns that you received before and after the fire. You also have a broken rib and your left wrist never healed properly." Julie ended with a sigh.

I had looked away as soon as she started saying everything she knew. I could feel her eyes on me. "How did all of these things happen?" She asked after a short pause.

I couldn't be put back in foster care. Not after what happened last time.

"I- uh... do a lot of activities during and after school so that explains the bruises and broken things. I've also had a few run ins with a thorn bush and I do cooking at home. I'm clumsy and often pour hot oil on me. I also have long, and boiling showers." Julie nodded obviously not believing me. I don't blame her.

"So the bush? Had an argument with it or something?" She smiles looking at me.

"It has always had a grudge against me ever since I accidentally burnt it a couple of years ago." I smiled and looked at the heart monitor. It had remained consistent the entire time.

Julie raises an eyebrow before leaving. I sighed and curled up again falling into a deep sleep.