Chapter 1 nothing is fair in war

"UGHHH!" I said slamming the pencil down onto the wooden table failing to come up with any ideas to aid in the war.

'Now you may be wondering who I am and what's going on...well for starters. I'm dust but my few friends call me dusty and I'm currently an engineer and inventor for the weapons being used in the war I'm in. I was drafted as an early adult and have been serving for about ten or so years. I never had any family except for an alcoholic abusive jackass of a father and a amazing grandfather. I am an only child and my mom left when I was young so I never knew her but enough about me.'

Suddenly I heard a loud crash outside followed by a series of screams and cry's of shock. I quickly grabbed my goggles and put them over my eyes before running out of the technicians tent. I saw a huge rival army getting past our barbed wire fencing and wooden stakes some failing in the process either getting impaled by the wooden stakes or brutally maimed by the barbed wire and then taken out by our soldiers.

I shook my head trying to clear the sight from my vision before grabbing a gun from a unfortunately dead soldier and heading out into battle uneasy. I felt my stomach drop when I heard from a nearby soldier in the trenches that our numbers were few. I gritted my teeth and advanced further killing only when I absolutely needed to.

I heard something roll next to me then explode. The sheer force of the flash bomb sent me into a hopefully just muddy hill. I felt my left ear and came back to see blood leaking out. "Damn I busted my ear drum" I heard myself say from my right ear. A scream of agony nearly broke my only working ear. I looked from behind the hill to see a enemy soldier caught on barb wire.

(Warning gets gorey sorry)

His guts were hanging out from a large hole in his stomach and were caught on the barbed wire and every time he tried to move it caused him to let out a more blood curdling scream than the last. I swiftly got up trying to not slip in the mud before running up to the poor man and kneeling before him. "Please.. just kill me..." he said with tears in his eyes. "Don't worry it will be over soon" I said while putting my hand reassuringly on his shoulder before putting the gun to his right temple "see you on the other side" I said softly to him before ending his misery. His eyes glazed over and he seemed at peace.

I almost forgot about the war going around me before a large figure tackled me into the bloody dirt mixture. I tasted iron as I looked up at the man who disarmed me. I looked up at him in shock as he grabbed my weapon and put it too my head. "I'm sorry. I'm  just doing what needs to be done.." he said before shooting me

A ghost of a whisper past my lips to his ears "its alright I forgive...you" before I died. I felt my eyes glaze over as I was being dragged down. 'What the I though angels were supposed to go up... huh...' was my last though before I felt myself free-falling and then coming to an abrupt stop hitting the unforgiving gravel. 

I didn't open my eyes for a while. But when I did I regretted it.