8: First Flight

Raeth was an ocean of green and blue with pinpricks of gold and silver from high orbit. The gold-white light of the distant supergiant star bathed the planet in light, making it seem as a jewel in the void. It had been three months since leaving Taris, the Triumphant having completed a short tour of the mid rim before returning to the capital with its escort fleet. Val stood behind Korta on the bridge as the Knight spoke with the Triumphant's Captain, Neza Derrosk. She was calmly explaining to the Knight that some of her Crewman had come down with sickness after the final stop on Kuat.

Korta waved her concerns away, "They caught some jumper bug carousing on leave." he said without the slightest regard. Val shared a knowing smile with Kavos, jumper bugs were a well known euphemism for a certain category of diseases contracted in questionable locales, with questionable partners. He looked reflexively to Chiko, but she was below, training with another of the Knights. Her absence was discomforting to Val, but after their previous encounter he knew she needed time. Resisting the urge to seek her out was difficult, but necessary. If they were going to make it through their apprenticeship, they would need to face certain things apart.

He turned his attention back to the conversation. "-dless I am sending the affected crewmen down first under quarantine." The Captain said, "I will not be known as the idiot that lost her ship because she didn't take an unknown pathogen seriously."

Korta looked ready to burst with rage. "Damn it Neza I've got an appointment with a dear friend that I cannot-" the Captain held up a hand. "Master Tibrenn-" she interjected, addressing Korta, "-I will ensure that your shuttle departs at the earliest possible slot, but I must see to the ship's crew before other considerations." Her eyes narrowed at the man, "If you wish to overrule me, I will follow the order under duress."

The threat was implicit, if Korta invoked his authority and the sickness turned out to be something more dangerous than it seemed all blame would fall squarely on his shoulders, not her own. Korta turned to Val and smiled, "Always listen to a good officer my boy, even ones so insufferably deliberate as Captain Derrosk." He said making a rude gesture as he did. Derrosk was unfazed, turning her attention back to the command displays.

Korta took a few steps away from her toward the exit, "Come on boys, let's not bother the Captain further." He was already nearly out of the bridge by the time Val and Kavos caught up to him. Val was confused about something, "Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why is the Captain only sending down a single shuttle at a time?" Val asked. Korta didn't break stride as he responded. "All Navy ships are restricted in this way when attempting to enter Raeth." He explained. "There have been attempts to seize power by certain ambitious officers in the past. This measure limits the possible subterfuge by restricting how many personnel can be unloaded in one lift."

Val understood, but did not like the implications suggested. "The Emperor is that wary of his own?" Val asked. Korta laughed, "The Emperor had no part in that particular measure." He turned, giving Val a serious look, "The Imperial Knights implemented it in the best interest of the Imperial seat." This was shocking to Val, Korta had just tacitly admitted that the Order of Knights could overrule the Imperial seat if they deemed it necessary.

He didn't respond, looking to Kavos for his take. His companion didn't seem affected by the revelation and so Val wondered if he was the only person aboard who hadn't grasped that fundamental truth before. The thought was not comforting and immediately changed how he viewed his chosen profession. They weren't just peacekeepers, they were peacemakers and the difference therein was disturbing. Korta made directly for the officer's mess, which was accessible to Knights and Nobles at all hours. Val had tried to avoid imposing himself upon the staff, as he knew that some of his peers were not as sensible.