18

Aerran Toth was the picture of an Imperial patriarch. A member of the Raethan governing assembly, Toth had served the Emperor with quiet distinction throughout the entirety of his life. The man was so very much like Val's own father, a kind and compassionate statesmen whom was quick to smile through the pazaak-face he erected in his public demeanor. Val did his best to maintain his composure as he sat in this man's house and delivered the news of his son's death. Isrann Toth had been awarded an honorary knighthood for his part in Val's mission to eliminate the stealth ships. Isrann Toth, a youth less than a week out of the cadets, volunteering for a mission he had no place in. Seventeen years was not enough time, not nearly enough not for Ben Kidann nor for Isrann Toth.

Val delivered the news through gritted teeth and shaking voice. "There was no time to search for the right person-" Val said, trying to look the man in the eyes as he spoke, "-only time to ask for a volunteer." He added, the effort to remain composed was overwhelming. Toth's grief was evident, that of his wife Daeva all the more so. She held the Kyber crystal Val had given to them, an award from the Order's store to mark Isrann's sacrifice.

Aerran could not meet his eye, staring at the floor as Val spoke. "He saved innumerable lives." Val began, the truth was far more complicated, but the essence was there. "Perhaps the Empire itself, Lord Toth." Val added, again remembering the stakes of the battle. It had been all too narrow of a victory, but a victory nonetheless. The Mandan fleet had been halted and for the moment the Imperial and Mandan fleets held their respective positions as each side formulated their designs for revenge.

"I have other children." Toth said suddenly, interrupting Val before he could speak again. The man looked at the ground still, his face twisting. "I love each of them dearly, with all that I have in me." The older man said tears beginning to well in his eyes. "Isrann was our miracle." Toth said, his voice uneven, Daeva collapsing into him, racking with deep, guttural sobs of anguish. "He was so sick as a child, so brittle and..." Toth began to weep. "We never thought he would join the navy, it didn't seem in his nature." Toth breathed between sobs.

"Forgive me." The man said, collecting himself in a way only a statesman could. Val was sick, his face pale with cold sweat running across him beneath the neat and formal suit that he wore. Forgive me. Val thought, a pang of nausea narrowly suppressed as he thought of the implications. Why had this boy volunteered? What spurred him to follow some fool into a death trap? More than that, why was such pain inflicted upon a family like this.

"It should have been me." Val said, speaking his mind. "It was my plan, my mission, sir." Val said. The other man grimaced through the tears. "I hope you won't begrudge my wish that it had been." He said, allowing anger to flare within his countenance for a brief but intense instant. "He was my boy." Toth said, as if needing to explain to Val, his face returning to the aggrieved pall that would doubtless remain for a long vigil. It turned his stomach. Val stood without a word and made for the door, having inflicted enough pain on these people. Mercifully, they made no effort to stop him.

Chiko awaited him by the speeder they had purchased. He took the controls as she climbed in, pulling the craft above the estate and out into the scenic fields, rivers and valleys that comprised this region of Raeth. There was a hill on the horizon, overlooking a lake and surrounding forest leading into snow-capped mountains in the far distance. Val made a course toward it accelerating to max speed to reach it as soon as possible. "I need to be alone a while." His throat tightening as he spoke. They had not been separated since the return to Raeth. She understood, of course, as he understood her. Though she felt some guilt in her actions, she did not regret them. Isrann had been, after all, a stranger. Val could not begrudge her that, not rationally.