10: Infiltration

This is hell. He thought as he walked the length of the trench. The troops around him were pitiful, covered in mud and ash, some wounded and awaiting treatment. Overhead the ceaseless barrage of turbolaser fire cracked again and again. Any moment a lucky shot could fall in just the right position and wipe him away. He was a visitor to this world, the true cost paid by the poor wretches of the Imperial Army. These were not the Stormtroopers, nor the Imperial Marines and they were certainly not the Knights that commanded from far behind the lines. Each of them was an Imperial trooper, well trained and equipped professionals, but far from the elite forces that took prize position in the grand battle plans of the Empire.

1He'd come to know these men and women, serving under Korta's direction as their company commander. It was not an honor Val expected, not a burden he was entirely prepared for. Kavos walked beside him, he'd found his adjutant indispensable in the early phases of the conflict. Kavos knew how to speak to the troops in a way that Val had not at first. The sudden loss of their original commander nearly destroying their morale in the first battle of the war.

The battle in orbit had been resolved in less than an hour. The small ramshackle fleet of third-rate cruisers assembled by the Zyllovian rebels had been divided and destroyed by the 3rd fleet led by the Triumphant. The burning remains of those ships still hung in orbit above, threatening to crash to the surface some time within the next few weeks.

Val had watched that battle from the bridge, Chiko pacing relentlessly at his side. Korta had disallowed either of them from joining the battle in fighter craft. Kavos had watched as well, questioning Korta at appropriate times to determine the logic behind each move as they unfolded. Val was caught in the spectacle before him and in the sudden bursts of energy that heralded the ends of thousands of lives.

Now, on the surface and under constant enemy fire, Val had found himself of two minds. He hated this battle and the suffering he and his troops were forced to endure. Yet there is nowhere I'd rather be. It was addictive in the most cruel sense. There was no greater thrill than the moments after a near impact, the terror and madness of those moments activated something in the mind so pure that it made all other thoughts seem dreamlike in comparison.

"I do wish this rain would stop." Kavos said as they entered the command bunker. It was a prefab structure deployed early in the battle, reinforced by a layer of soil and rock above it. A large, ghastly hole filled in with duracrete stood testament to the shot that had killed the company's original commander and staff. There had not been much left of them.

Val smirked grimly, "Which rain?" He asked. Kavos removed his helmet and retrieved a towel from a rack by the door. "Both." He said with a grim chuckle. "But I find the liquid kind more damaging to morale." He said, trying in vain to remove as much moisture as possible. Val tilted his head, raising an eyebrow at his friend. "Explain that one please." He said disbelievingly.

Kavos finished drying himself, tossing the towel away with frustration. "Simple. The troops can't fight the rain." He said. Val laughed at that, knowing it was true. Val shook his head as he moved to the comm. he picked up the control and keyed for the main headquarters. A familiar voice answered him.

"3-1-3 send message." Chiko said playfully. It had been too long since he'd heard her voice. He smiled widely as he struggled to remember his original intent. "I'm looking for Korta." Val said matter-of-fact. "I've been observing the anti-air battery and I think I've got a way to silence them." He added giving Kavos a nod. They'd developed the plan together, with helpful observations from a few of the senior members of their company.

"You and a dozen other idiots Val." She responded mockingly, then the line went quiet for a moment. "Chiko? You there?" Val asked, hoping the comms hadn't been fried again. The repeated electrical discharge of enemy's turbolaser barrage had already severed communications a few times before. "Knight Kidann." Val stated a moment later, "Knight Suvan has insisted that I take a moment to listen to your and I'm quoting her here 'Idiotic and foolhardy scheme'." Korta continued mockingly. Val lowered his head and chuckled, giving Kavos a can you believe this look. Kavos looked rather annoyed, his hair and clothes still damp. "Hurry up so we can get the hell off this rock." the Navy man said.