9: Knights Errant

"We welcome our new brother and sister!" Korta said from the raised speaking platform at the head of the audience chamber. The high ceiling and marble floors projected his voice across the entire assembly. The grand hall was at half capacity, the majority of those in attendance being older Knights and their pupils. This was the great bastion, directly affixed to the Imperial Palace on Raeth. This was the heart of the galaxy and he stood only meters away from its ruler.

The Emperor, Ytane Fyr'Raellia, sat behind and above Korta on a sparse seat. It was more a stool than a throne, but he did not seem uncomfortable upon it. He beamed, his weathered, bearded face creased with long lines. The popular image of the man was from long before it seemed. It was surprisingly informal, all things considered. The Imperial Guard stood unarmored by his side. Then Val had noticed that the Emperor carried a lightsaber of his own. Val hadn't known that the Emperor had once been a knight. The depths of what Val did not know about the man that ruled over his and so many trillions' fate was momentarily discomforting.

"Chiko, Val, step forward please." Korta said, turning to the Emperor and speaking something Val did not hear. Chiko shouldered her way through the crowd, stopping and kneeling respectfully at the foot of the stairs leading up to the platform. Val walked to her right hand and kneeled beside her. He shared a nervous look with her, one that she returned. That made him smile and as it happened, her as well. Footsteps drew their attention to the sight of the ancient man descending, Korta beside him.

"I once knelt where you do." The Emperor said, his voice surprisingly powerful. "It was the most terrifying moment of my life." he added as he came to the end of the stairs, stopping on the final step. He was hunched from age, but his eyes were wide and his mind seemingly intact. "Facing an enemy, however terrible, is easier than facing your own vision of yourself." he said with a wise smile. He leaned down so that they could truly hear him, "Our greatest adversary is the person we fear ourselves to be." he said, looking at each of them. He turned to Korta, whom produced a small box which the Emperor took.

"Chiko Suvan, rise." Ytane commanded. She did so slowly a serious look on her face. Val watched her as the Emperor held out the box, removing the lid. Inside was a crystal that glimmered with golden light. The emperor took her hand and placed the crystal in her palm. "Usually such things are provided by family." The Emperor stated sadly, leaning closer to say something only she could hear. Chiko's face changed, the seriousness was replaced by a gracious smile, her eyes welling with tears. "Thank you." she said, her voice breaking. She stepped back, cradling the item as the Knights in attendance began to cheer.

When the cheers faded, the emperor stood before Val. "Rise, Val Kidann." he said. Val did so with shaking legs and sweat rolling down his back. The Emperor turned to Korta, "Grandmaster, the honor is yours." he said with a smile, taking a single step back. Val's heart skipped as a thousand small pieces fell into place. Val filled the space where the Emperor had stood, holding out a familiar item. It was his lightsaber, repaired and reconstituted by Korta. "Take your weapon son." he said with a smile of pride. As Val grabbed it, Korta closed both hands around his own. "It is yours, Val." he said, the implication clear to Val. "Yes master." he replied, stepping away to join Chiko.

The emperor drew his own saber, holding it high, before igniting the weapon. He slowly lowered it, indicating for them to bow. They did as directed and then the Emperor spoke. "Go forth with my blessing, with my resolve and with bravery, defend your Empire and its people." He lowered his voice, "Be true and noble in the face of darkness, that is all that can be asked of you." he said, then lowered the blade above both of their heads. "Stand." he commanded, as they did he rose his own saber high, "For the Empire!" he yelled, his voice booming off of the walls. A thousand lightsabers roared to life behind Val, who turned to see every knight holding their own blades. Val turned to Chiko, tears in both of their eyes, he took her hand and together they raised his own blade high. "For the Empire!" the assembly chanted as Val and Chiko were greeted by their new brothers and sisters.