21

They had taken twelve ships intact, destroyed a score more and nearly fifteen thousand prisoners now sat on the rocky, desolate moon around which the battle had been waged. The camps had been Val's idea, a way of handling these prisoners in a timely fashion. The prisoners were free to run if they wished, the world was incapable of sustaining life and there were no ships outside of Imperial control to rescue them. Few guards were needed, as the threat of a turbolaser barrage was ever present with the Triumphant docked in low orbit for the duration of the events unfolding.

Val and Chiko strode through the camp without fear. Though surrounded by their enemy, every Mandan now knew the power of the Imperial Knights. A few of those number had not returned, but even those fallen few had laid terrible waste to the defending Mandan ranks. Val searched their eyes, finding that their beliefs were not a monolith. In some he found hatred and revulsion, in others, an abiding awe or grudging respect for a class of warrior alien to their own understanding.

He was searching for a particular face amongst the crowd, that of Arren Tsetch, clan Fulrau. As the prisoners had been disembarked, they had sought out their clan members amongst the multitudes. Now those clans had dispersed across the great valley that would be their home for a short while. Clan Fulrau, as Val had learned from the few and far between Mandans willing to speak to them, was a large and ancient clan well respected by its peers and coveted by its lessers. As such, the clan had left the valley and established a camp on the western ridge.

From atop the ridge the clan could see the entirety of the assembled mass. A hundred small camps spread across the whole of the valley floor. Huddled together these Mandans contested against the harsh conditions of their temporary home on the fair but not enjoyable rations afforded them by the Imperial navy. At the center of the camp was the landing pad and fortress, a pre-fabricated compound ubiquitous across the Empire. That fortress was the only route off the moon, the few shuttles allowed to dock at one time always manned by a full complement of Marines.

Val approached a set of kind eyes, removing his helmet. This was dangerous, as a thrown stone could easily reach him through the PDS as it moved much slower than a blaster bolt. It was a sign of trust and it immediately drew Chiko's ire. What are you doing you fool? She asked, her hand resting on her belt just short of her lightsaber. Val moved forward regardless, he sensed the mind of the woman he approached and there was no violence there. "So, you are human after all." The Mandan woman said without surprise. She turned to the man next to her and thumped his cuirass with a closed fist, "I told you Syl, but you can pay up once we're off this rock."

Val smiled cordially, "I had the honor to face one of your clan in battle." He stated, addressing more than just the woman. "I wish to meet and speak to him again, his name is Arren Tsetch." Val explained. The woman's eyes widened in recognition. "You know Arren?" She asked with a smile. "My cousin is on watch." She said, pointing to the far end of the camp where a spite of rock jutted jaggedly out above the canyon. Val nodded, "Thank you." He said shortly and began to move away.

The woman stopped him with a shout of, "Hold on!" Chiko's eyes scanned all around them and her mind strayed toward violence. The Mandan woman raised a hand to point to her side where her belt would be. "Show us the weapon." She said with a grin. Chiko's blade was in hand and ignited in an inconceivably fast draw. Those around her took a step back, some into a fighting stance, while others merely away from the threat. Chi. He thought, knowing she was still coming down from the battle on the bridge. She sighed through the visor and relaxed her pose. Val drew his own weapon and ignited it, holding the blue blade a few inches from his face in a salute.

The Mandans relaxed, a chorus of discussion broke out as the knights posed before them. Val flourished the weapon, then tossed it in a spinning throw toward a tall but thin rocky outcrop. The blade cleaved through, then with a flick of his wrist soared back into his waiting hand. With his left hand he reached out, lifting the top of the rock with some exertion before pushing it away. It shattered against the ground and pieces tumbled over the cliff side into the canyon below.