Chapter Nine

February 11th, 2020

Alcina

     I didn't break my nose, thank gods. After sitting through the constant anxiety that Cebrus was spewing everywhere as he paced in the infirmary, I was ready to take a nap. We were on our way back from the medic and I was all grins.

    "See, I was fine." I laughed, stretching up into the air. "I knew that didn't feel like a broken nose," I rubbed my nose which was perfectly fine. I took in a deep breath glad to be able to breath from it once more.

"Do I want to know the reason you have had a broken nose before?" He sighed grabbing the bridge of his own. I could feel my face drop, remembering the last time I had a broken nose.

"Do you feel that?" She dug my face deeper into the wooden floor. I could feel my teeth want to cave in. "This is what happens when you get on my nerves, girl." My master hissed pressing her heel deeper into the back of my skull. I grunted when she started to twist her foot into my head once more.

"No, I don't think you want to know," I shook my head, clutching my hands tightly in front of me. He gave me a side eye, he frowned, then looked forward again. It was like he was nervous to pry. I looked out of the windows lining the hallway out into the moon overlooking the forest.

"You know the story about the moon right?" I asked, I remember Anna told me this story long ago. He stopped and looked out the window. I looked at the midnight glow brushed over his facial features. He had lovely green eyes that seemed to draw me in. I reached out my hand, only to draw it back to my sides. He looked so perfect, so peaceful. I didn't want to ruin that.

"The moon?" He looked back at me shaking his head, "I didn't know she had one."

I smiled and stepped into place besides him, "its said that the goddess of the moon hated humans so much that she only truly comes out once a month," I touched the glass, "only to see the werewolves," I looked at him and smiled, "that's why we transform."

"Though the goddess of creation found out and got mad that the moon goddess was giving love only to the werewolves, so once every three months, she kills the goddess of the moon, turning the moon blood red." I shivered at the thought. "It's the werewolves greatest weakness."

    The blood moon was due in two weeks time. Cebrus looked down at me and kissed my forehead, "what do werewolves do during the blood moon?" We started walking towards our rooms.

    "Normally we stay indoors and sleep," then I sparked up, "or we would meet at the pack house and do traditional dances, and spend the night." I smiled at the memory, it had almost been ten years since I had done one of those dances.

    "Well," he wrapped an arm around my waist, "would you be spending your night with Sheila then?"

    I thought for a moment, "I don't know. I don't really have a pack." Sure I did have a pack the Willow Walkers pack, or better known at the Saliences Ambulatories, but I havnt been back in years. Not after I had gotten thrown into slavery. "Packs don't normally mix." The only time they all truly get along is when the King of Werewolves is involved.

    "I don't think she will enjoy me on a night like that." I huffed, wrapping my arms around myself defensively.

    "I think otherwise," he said looking down at me with a soft smile. "I think she would enjoy you being with her, more than you think."

    Cebrus took a turn in the wrong direction, "uh, our room is that way," I pointed in the other direction, stopping in my tracks.

    "Do you want to go back?" He asked, though there were unsaid words behind that sentence. Words that clearly screamed that he didn't want to go back.

    "No. Let's keep walking."

    We walked for a while in silence, we made it outside to the garden and were walking around aimlessly. Then a question came to my mind, "how was your childhood?"

    He flinched a step but then recovered flawlessly. "Not good." He shrugged and kept walking. I wanted to ask more, but something deep down in me told me not to pry. "Yourself?"

    "Not great either," actually it was horrible.

    He chuckled, "no wonder we are mates," he patted my head.

    "No wonder." I sighed, pushing back the daunting memories that brought bile to my mouth.

    Suddenly someone stumbled out from a side hallway. We stopped in our tracks, observing the person who fumbled to the floor. It was a soldier, and we noticed his pale white face and frozen eyes. "N-no! Please!" He held up a hand to protect himself from something.

    A shadow of something flashed across the hallway, into the man. I jumped to grab Cebrus who splayed his wings. Seconds later, right in front of our eyes, the soldier crumpled into a pile of ash.

    I grabbed Cebrus' hand, ready to book it and run towards our rooms, though he was one step faster. He scooped me up into his arms and took off towards the garden we had just came from. We flew through the hallways, so fast that everything was a blur. I clutched onto his shirt tightly, my breath uneven and scared.

    He made it to the garden and shot into the sky. When we were far enough up, he stopped and treaded in the air. "What was that?" I said a shake in my voice. It was clear the man had seen something that we didn't.

    He shook his head, eyes still wide, looking down at the castle below. Then he looked at me and scanned me up at down. "Are you okay?"

    I nodded, "shaken, but alright." I looked up at him, "are you okay."

    "Fine. But I'm worried." His eyes that were purple faded back into green. I relaxed in his arms.

    "Do you know what that guy saw?" I said again still half in shock. Who was that guy? What did he do that deserved him getting fried?

    "I—" he stopped thinking back to the action.

    "I didn't see anything." He shook his head, it looked like the gears in his head were turning. "Alcina, did you see anything?"

     "I saw a shadow, right before the guy died. But there was no particular body shapes stood out to me..." I grabbed my chin thinking back to the shadow. It just looked like a six foot blob of darkness. I got chills thinking about it.

     "Somethings not right." He looked down at me, shifting my in his arms so I had to hold on tighter.

    "Well yeah, we just watched someone get fried to ashes."

    "No. That's not it." He shook his head.

    "Why didn't it come after us."

Call the SCOOBY gang. We have a mystery on our hands.

ms-RDHT9b

ms-RDHT9b.gif

Who do you think killed the guy?

What do you think the two of them will do to find out who did it?

Song suggestion? I recommend 'Sunday Best' by Surfaces

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE