Chapter Seven

So sorry it's been a few days! But I was gonna upload on Wednesday, then I realised that somehow I'd gotten ahead of my schedule (yes, I have planned when I'm going to write and upload each chapter, so what?) so I didn't. I will be trying to upload at least nine chapters this week as it's my half term!! Exciting stuff!

The video on the side is Destiney's Child - Survivor, because let's face it, we all need a bit of them in our lives.

Also, this is one where big stuff happens, so yeah. COMMENT PLEASE. Votes are nice too ;)

****************************************************************************************

     We’d been in St. David’s for three weeks when we finally started settling into some sort of pattern. Though there was still lots of unpacking to do, and we had slowly started work on the gallery, we still wanted to take advantage of the nice weather – after all summer was really summer in Pembrokeshire. So we would spend a short amount of time every day working on the house, or at the gallery, then we would take Flick down to the beach where she would paddle around in the water, build lopsided castles in the sand and eventually fall asleep curled up on a towel. We used the time on the beach for our art, something we loved to do together – sitting in silence for an hour, and then sharing work at the end of it.

     This peaceful new routine was carried on for about two weeks, until we reached the first week of August, when the heat was at its worst and an arrival disturbed it.

     It was a Sunday, and having woken up late we were spending the day lazily. Blake was doing a bit of work on the garden, pruning and trimming at the plants in a struggle to make them look as incredible as she could, while I lay stretched out in the grass trying to read. We’d set up our little paddling pool for Flick, who was jumping around in it, completely naked having decided it was too hot even for her swimming costume.

     My eyes were focused on the words in on the page in front of me, but the heat was distracting me and I was finding it hard to concentrate. Suddenly I felt drops of cold water landing on my back and looked up to see Flick leaning over the edge of the paddling pool towards me with a cheeky grin on her face.

     I laughed and raised my eyebrows at her. ‘You wanna play at that game do you?’ She gave me a wide grin, showing me a full mouth of baby teeth and bobbed her head up and down.

    I jumped up, throwing my book aside where it wouldn’t be in danger, and grabbed the end of the hose. Then I shouted at Blake, who was near the wall with the tap, ‘Turn it on Blake!’

     She was quick to respond and a clear stream of water shot out of the end of the hose in no time. I aimed it a Flick who giggled with glee and jumped out of the little pool to run around the garden. As she ran past Blake I couldn’t resist shifting my aim slightly to include her. The stream of water hit her right in the face, and flowed down, drenching her top.

     For a second her she just froze with her mouth open and a look of utter rage on her face, then she snapped into action and ran with Flick towards the pool yelling, ‘I’m gonna get you for that Beth!’

     Flick laughed hysterically at this, thrilled that we were both joining in. She and Blake reached the pool where Flick immediately bent down to get handfuls of water to throw at me, but with her tiny hands and not being very strong, it wasn’t really working.

     ‘Help me,’ she moaned at Blake. Blake ran over to me and grabbed me round the waist, restricting my arms, and trying to direct the hose towards me, getting us both completely soaked. We stumbled around like this, as I tried to wrestle free of her grasp, and before I knew it I found her pulling me down into the pool, next to a naked, laughing Flick.