Chapter Ten

So here's another chapter for you guys! You really need to get better at commenting though :P At the moment I have two lovely readers who always comment, but apart from that the rest of you aren't doing very well -_-

The song on the side is Breathless by The Corrs, because who doesn't love a bit of 2000s irish pop?

********************************************************************************

     ‘So this is what you do, all day, everyday?’ Debby asked, holding up a clean paintbrush and flicking the hairs with her index finger. We were in our gallery the next day, Blake was sitting at what would be the counter one day, with her laptop open, working on designing a website for the shop, Flick was on the ground, playing with a paint roller, and I was standing in front of the wall facing out to the street, working on the elaborate mural that we had decided on having. Debby was just sitting and watching.

      We’d taken some time off the day before, we stayed at home, I went to Haverfordwest to do the weekly food shop, we watched a movie in the evening, Debby spent a lot of time playing with Flick. But today, Blake and I had decided to go back to our routine. After all, just because Debby was here, didn’t mean we had to slow down our excellent progress. We’d only been in St. David’s for a little over a month and already we’d basically settled into the house and got pretty well into our plans for the gallery.

     I ignored her, and continued with the rock I was painting. Behind me I heard the clack of the keys on Blake’s laptop stop.

     ‘Not all day,’ she told Debby. ‘Mostly just the mornings. We don’t want to miss the summer because we’re busy working away inside.’

     ‘What? So beach this afternoon?’ Debby asked, her voice hopeful. Blake must have nodded in confirmation, because Debby continued, ‘Brilliant! I’ve been waiting to get my swimsuit out.’

     It went silent again and I bent down and picked up the picture I was working from. It was a photo Blake had taken on the beach closest to here, about ten metres into the water, looking back at the beach, with the cliffs hanging dramatically over the sand. The cliffs made of black stone, and the deep blue water were typical of Pembrokeshire beaches and we’d agreed that it was the perfect representation of the area, and so the perfect thing to cover the only wall that wouldn’t be displaying artwork.

     ‘That’s Caefair Bay, right?’ Debby asked after a minute or two. I stopped painting this time and turned around, my brush still in my hand.

     ‘Yeah, ‘ I replied, smiling. ‘Course it is.’ Caerfair Bay had always been our favourite beach out of the many we frequented, and before I finished school, before everything changed, we would spend the entire summer together, just me and Debby, most of it on that beach.

     ‘Can we go to Marloes today?’ she asked. ‘I know it’s further away, and more touristy, but it really is an astonishing beach.’

    I nodded slowly at this, but frowned slightly. ‘You don’t want to go to Caerfair?’ I asked surprised. ‘But that was always your favourite one and you can’t have been there in years.’

     Debby shrugged her shoulders, as if she didn’t care, but when she spoke her voice didn’t matter her attitude. ‘I know, I just –‘ her voice waved slightly, but then she covered it over by clearing her throat and starting again. ‘I feel like going to Marloes,’ she said with certainty.

     ‘Okay,’ I said, feeling a little uneasy, but turning back to continue anyway. It seemed to me like there was something Debby was hiding, some other reason why she didn’t want to go to her favourite beach. But knowing that if I asked her she’d just deny it, I didn’t say anything.