Chapter Seventeen

Hey y'all! So today's been a super productive day for me writing-wise and I'm feeling pretty chuffed. One of the chapters I finished (a couple ahead of this one) is really good!! Well at least I think so... ;) This one's longer than the last few so you should appreciate it.

***************************************************************************************

     ‘So what do we do today?’ Blake asked the next morning as we were climbing out of the nest of our bed. ‘I mean Michael’s coming at some point, but we don’t know when, so we can’t go out.’

      I thought about it for a second, searching through the pile of my clothes I had created on a chair in our room for one of my hoodies. ‘I don’t know,’ I told her when I’d found it.

      ‘Do you think he’ll just get here and then take her away, or what?’ she asked me. ‘Like will there be an argument?’

      I pulled the jumper over my head, and when I could see her again, still sitting on the edge of the bed, I said, ‘Oh yes. There will be an argument. Debby’s not gonna go silently.’

      Blake stood up now and moved over to the full-length mirror next to our wardrobe. She started pulling at her hair where it was stuck up awkwardly from having slept on it, running her hands through the knots. ‘Well we don’t really want Flick to see that, right?’ she pointed out. ‘I know that at some point in her life she’s gonna see us arguing or something, but she’s still so young, if there are two adults in our house shouting at each other that’s bound to upset her.’

      ‘You’re right,’ I agreed, coming up behind her and wrapping my arms around her waist, resting my chin on her shoulder. ‘So what should we do with her?’

     I watched our reflections in the mirror, Blake still working at her hair with my face poking over her shoulder. ‘You could take her out somewhere, and I’d stay here with Debby,’ I suggested.

      She shook her head slightly. ‘Won’t work, Debby will probably want to come too,’ she pointed out. ‘What about your mother?’

     ‘It’s a Tuesday,’ I told her. ‘She’ll be at work.’

     ‘Shit,’ Blake cursed, dropping her hands from her hair. ‘So what do we do?’

     I sighed and squeezed my eyes closed. ‘Maybe…’ I started, my eyes still closed. I felt Blake move, breaking free of my arms and opened them to see her still in front of me. ‘Well, why don’t you just take Flick out the moment he gets here?’ I suggested. ‘They probably won’t even notice.’

     ‘True,’ she muttered. ‘Okay, come on. Let’s go have breakfast. All we can do is wait for him to get here.’

     She led me out into the hallway, where I stopped and indicated with my head towards Flick’s closed bedroom door. ‘Should I go wake her up?’ I asked.

     ‘Yeah, go for it,’ she told me. ‘I’ll start getting stuff out.’

     I turned back around to face Flick’s door, looking at her drawings and scribbles it was already covered with. I pushed it open and entered the small bedroom. The floor was littered with her toys, which took up considerable amount of space. The only items of furniture were a small bookcase for her picture books, a dresser full of her clothes and her baby-sized bed.

      She was curled up at the top of the bed, looking small underneath her duvet. Her head and one hand with the fingers curled slightly were the only things of her I could see. I moved over to the side of the bed and crouched down next to her face.