Coping Mechanism

"Newcastle, you can go ahead and clean my office later." Captain Tran says.

"Why do you insist that others aren't allowed in your office? Is there something wrong?" Newcastle asks.

"It's nothing that you should worry about." The captain replies.

"And that's only going to make me worry more." Newcastle says. "Are you sure there isn't something bothering you?"

"No, there isn't." Captain Tran replies, but the maid sees right through him, and the captain eventually gives in. "...Yes, there actually is something bothering me. A few things might I add."

"Well why are you hiding them then? You're making me, making the girls, worry about you again." Newcastle says. "Shall we speak somewhere in private?"

"My quarters?" Captain Tran asks and Newcastle follows the captain to his quarters where he shuts the door.

"Well, you can go ahead and tell me what's been troubling you. I promise not to judge." Newcastle replies. "But why did you accept me? And not the other girls?"

"I'm not really sure how they'll react." The captain says. "I'm afraid that they're going to look at me differently." And Newcastle nods, understanding his worries.

"Go ahead and tell me your troubles." Newcastle replies, and she waits for the captain to speak.

"Well... I'm not sure where to start..." Captain Tran says. "Nor how I can word this..."

"Please take your time." Newcastle replies. "No need to rush."

"To try and keep things short, I'm worried about what's going to happen after I retire." Captain Tran begins. "When I'm gone, you and the girls will no longer be under my command. You'll be under a new person, and well... That's where I'm afraid..."

"I see..." Newcastle says.

"I'm worried that this new person may not treat you girls with the love that I give you." The captain continues. "And it's just been plaguing my mind, and making me lose a little sleep over those worries."

"Would that explain why you're trying to close yourself off to the girls?" Newcastle asks, and the captain goes stiff. "It sounds like I'm correct. You're trying to get them used to being without you, right?"

"...Yes..." Captain Tran says. "I admit, I love those girls too much to let them go... But knowing that one day I won't be able to be there for them..." The captain then starts sniffling, tears threatening to well up. "Yorktown especially..."

"I completely understand that." Newcastle replies as she embraces the captain. "I know exactly how you feel, and I've been through that before."

"You have?" Captain Tran asks.

"I am the former head maid after all, and a retiree." Newcastle replies. "I barely see any combat but as a shipgirl I can still fulfill some duties as a maid. Otherwise I'm like any human retiree, with insurance at the ready. I was just as worried about my maids as you are about your girls, but I promise they will be just as loved as you loved them. I'll make sure of it."

"Do you promise?" Captain Tran asks, still fighting back tears.

"I promise." Newcastle replies, gently squeezing the captain as he gently weeps into Newcastle's shoulder. "I promise you they will be okay. I am a permanent resident after all and I will ensure that no harm comes to the girls."

"Thank you..." The captain says as he dries up his tears and lets go to wipe them off. "And thank you for letting me vent, for reaching out when I thought nobody would."

"You're always welcome." Newcastle replies as she takes her leave and gently closes the door behind  her, intent on finding Yorktown and the other girls to explain the captain's condition.