2. the one with a distraction

STORY CREATED BY riverdalee

After the attack on the Institute, everyone was still in mourning. The down worlders had lost many loved ones and the Shadowhunters, though fewer, were still enraged and seeking revenge. Knowing Valentine, the cause of their misery, was chained up in the basement waiting to be slaughtered was just a huge temptation.

"Let them maul him to pieces," Alec shrugs, "I couldn't care less. In any case, I'm not going to be part of some stupid protection detail for a mass murderer. Not when my sister is missing and all our resources should be put toward finding her."

"We need Valentine to find the Mortal Cup," Clary points out.

Alec sighs in defeat, "Well, we can't just sit here doing nothing."

"Magnus and Jace are working on summoning Azazel. They think they might be able to convince him to trade Valentine for Izzy," Clary informs him.

"And what about the other Greater Demon? That girl that was with Azazel?"

"Her name's y/n. She's not in the system. Magnus has no idea who she is either," Clary informs him, "We only found her name out through facial recognition. She was in a picture a long time ago - I mean like centuries ago."

"From the footage it seems like she's more powerful than Azazel and yet there's no record of her?" Alec asks frustrated.

Clary sighs in defeat, leaning over her desk and clicking the monitor a few times until she can zoom in on your face to get a better look, "She looks our age from this footage. How can she be centuries old?"

Alec shrugs, "Maybe one of her abilities. Look, I can't just sit around here. I'll be back if you guys figure a way out to summon Azazel but in the meantime I'm going to find this girl – maybe I can appeal to her sensitive side."

"Do demons have sensitive sides?" Clary scoffs.

Alec's eyes linger on the image of you, "Let's hope this one does."

"You know, you're going to have to be sneakier than that to get the jump on a Greater Demon," you say, smirking as you turn to find Alec Lightwood behind you, his bow and arrow drawn. You could've killed him in a heartbeat with no witnesses, but instead you cross your arms over your chest and lean against the wall of the alleyway, watching him curiously.

"Where's my sister?" he asks firmly, his jaw tense.

"Isabelle Lightwood?" you raise a brow, "Why would I have her?"

"I saw the footage from the alleyway. Azazel grabbed Izzy and you-"

"Stopped him," you cut him off, "We don't have her."

"Why should I believe you?" he leers.

You stand up straight, walking over to him. His grip on the bow tightens as you come to a stop and he shifts it so the tip of the arrow is angled to hit you right between the eyes.

Before you get a word out he releases it. Little does he expect you to catch the arrow an inch from your face.

You drop it to the floor, "You can't kill me," you tell him, "As for believing me – I don't really care whether you do or not. Our business is with the Mortal Cup, not you Shadowhunters."

Alec lowers his bow, dropping it to his side, "Look, if you have my sister-"

"I don't," you reassure him, "I could find her quite easily though."

Alec rolls his eyes, "Like a Greater Demon does anything for free."

You bite down on your lip and shrug, "I'm no ordinary Greater Demon."