6. were never getting back together

STORY CREATED BY pitubea1910

Those past weeks had been the worst days in a long time. You were still trying to figure out why he broke up with you when everything seemed to be going good between the two of you. Obviously you were utterly wrong. Alec Lightwood broke your heart with tears in his eyes, claiming it was for the best and to protect you. You knew the truth, or you thought you knew since no one had told you anything and you didn't contact anyone either. He was just worried. You being a mundane didn't have the strength a Shadowhunter had and being his girlfriend made you an easy target.

Solution? Break up with you. No girlfriend, no target. And of course his mother would be happy at least since she had never approved you as her son's girlfriend. For her, he should be with a Shadowhunter, with a name, with power. Not with some insignificant mundane.

It had been three weeks since he left you. You spent those 21 days crying every night until you fell asleep, faking a smile in front of your family and friends, making them believe you were alright when you were actually falling apart on the inside. Only your best friend, Martha, knew you weren't actually ok and was trying her best to cheer you up. She had been a great support and it was actually her who convinced you to go back to the Institute. You had left a few things there, at his room, and didn't have the courage to go and get them. You knew you could just talk to Izzy and she would give you your stuff, but anything related to him made your eyes fill with tears.

But there you were, across the street from the Institute, looking at the old building you could still see even when other regular people couldn't. Alec had asked Magnus Bane to put a spell on you so you would be able to see the shadoworld, so if there was any danger around you would be able to see it.

"All I see is an old church falling apart", Martha said next to you.

Being your best friend she knew everything about the secret world around you. When you met Alec you had to tell someone and you knew you could trust her, but since she didn't have that spell on her, all the secrets were still hidden to her. You let out a sad chuckle and looked at her.

"I know", you told her. "I wish you could see it", you added with a sigh before looking back at the Institute.

"Maybe he's not home", Martha suggested.

"He is", you stated. Believing he wasn't there would have been perfect but something told you he was in there. "Will you wait here?" You asked looking at your best friend.

"Of course", she smiled trying to encourage you.

With a nod you gave her a quick hug and looked both sides of the street before crossing it, towards the Institute, as fast as you could. You could feel the exact moment when you crossed the magic barrier and you knew Martha couldn't see you anymore but if you looked back she was just there. Anyhow...you were on your own.

Biting your lip, you knocked on the door knowing someone would open since you would be appearing on the screens since the moment you were crossing the street. Usually, they wouldn't let you in but everyone in there knew you already.

"(Y/N)!" Clary exclaimed when she opened the door. "What...what are you doing here? How are you?" She asked as she let you walk in.

"Hi, I... I came to pick up a few things", you said looking at her, not really in the mood to let her know how you actually were. She seemed to understand since she bite lip and nodded slowly. "Is he here?" You asked.

"Yeah, I think he's in his room", she informed you.

You nodded just once and made your way towards his room, feeling bad bot being so rude to her but you just couldn't help it. You loved this life and you missed every part of it too much to be nice. All you wanted to do was getting your things and leave as fast as possible.