10. the one with the love of your life

STORY CREATED BY riverdalee

You wake to the sound of clanging in your room. You reach a hand out, trying to find the switch to your lamp but before you can, the lights come on.

"Alec?" you frown, rubbing your eyes groggily as you spot him in your doorway.

He was dressed head to toe in black and had his bow in hand, "Let's go," he says, walking over to your bed and ripping your sheets off.

He frowns when he notices your bare legs, "It's the middle of winter. Why aren't you wearing pants?"

You roll your eyes, climbing out of bed and shovelling through your drawers to find a pair of jeans. As you pull them on, you watch him pace nervously.

"Where are we even going?" you ask him.

It wasn't unusual for Alec to wake you up for a mission in the middle of the night but this was the first time he seemed nervous, as though something was wrong.

"I'm not sure yet," he says, taking your hand in his as soon as you finish zipping up your boots. He leads you out of your room, hushing you every time you make a sound.

When you finally get outside, he exhales loudly, running his fingers through his hair.

"Alec," you mumble, wriggling your hand out of his and crossing your arms over your chest, "What the hell is going on? Why are you being so weird?"

"They want you turned in for questioning under the Soul Sword," Alec tells you, "I just got the order."

"Wait, what?!" you hiss. Alec reaches for your hand again, dragging you alongside him as he gets you as far from the Institute as possible.

He stops walking once you're in an alleyway, "Look, I need to get you as far away from here as I can and then I need to get back before anyone notices. I'm going to fight for you, okay? But I need to make sure no one can get to you first."

"Alec," you mutter, "W-why do they want to question me? What do they think I did?"

Alec sighs, "They think you're working with Lilith to try resurrect Jonathan," he tells you, a pained expression on his face.

"Alec-"

"You don't have to explain yourself to me," he adds quickly.

"Wait, y-you think I did it?" you ask him.

He tilts his head, "I know you loved him and that you lost him in such a terrible way that maybe its too hard for you to let go," Alec says softly, "I'm not angry."

"I didn't do it," you snap, "Alec... I – I didn't know who he really was. I loved him as Sebastian. Not Jonathan – not the boy who tried to kill all my friends! Who t-tried to kill you!"

Alec sinks in relief, pulling you against his chest in a hug, "Fuck," he mutters, "I was going out of my mind trying to figure out how to get you out of this."

You pull away from him, your brows furrowed together. Admittedly, it'd been hard getting over Jonathan, even after you found out his real identity. But had he remained alive, you never would've forgiven him for what he'd done – and never in a million years would you try to bring him back.

Alec had spent weeks making sure you were okay after he died – without Alec, you would've never made it through.

And here he was again, trying to help you even when he thought you were doing something completely insane.

"I guess this means we can go back now," he chuckles.

"Just out of curiosity, what was your plan?" you ask him, leaning against the wall of the alley.

"I-I thought I'd get you out of town. Maybe a cabin or beach house... somewhere nice. I'd visit you when I could, bring you food and stuff, until I cleared your name of course," he tells you, a smile on his face like he'd come up with the most intricate masterplan.

"Your plan was to stow me away and make yourself my only human contact?" you ask him, raising your brows.

"Would that be so terrible?" he asks you, smirking, "I mean, I'm basically your only friend at the Institute."

"That's because you scare everyone else away," you scoff.

"Well you asked me not to scare Sebastian away and look how well that turned out," Alec says pointedly, his eyes widening, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Alec, it's fine," you reassure him, "Trust me, I don't – I don't have any lingering feelings for him, okay? The guy was a psychopath."

"Well, for what it's worth, I'm going to scare guys away from you now until forever," he promises, "Even if I have to follow you everywhere."

"You already do that," you scoff, rolling your eyes, "You're like an unofficial boyfriend."

Alec's eyes glimmer with curiosity for a moment and then he says the words he'd been thinking for years, "Why not just make it official then?"

"Huh?" you mutter despite very well knowing what he was asking. It was a thought you'd pushed out of your head a million times; Alec was your friend and you'd managed to convince yourself he'd never be anything more.

He was brave and kind and loyal and too good for anyone, in your own thoughts.

He saved you time, time and again – even when you didn't deserve to be saved. He always had your back.

"Are you really going to make me say it again?" he asks in embarrassment, sighing loudly, "I want to be your boyfriend. Well, I want to be the love of your life, but we'll work towards that," he adds with a small, nervous smile.

You laugh, linking your arms around his neck and kissing him, hard – the way you'd wanted to since you were kids.

"You already are, idiot," you mutter against his lips.