~ The Reaping ~

I hurriedly scanned through my closet, looking for the dress my parents bought me for the reaping. My parents have no idea that me and Cato Hadley, my best friends for 7 years, are volunteering for the Hunger Games. 

The Hunger Games Process is very simple. A girl and boy from each district will be randomly chosen and taken to particapate in the chariots, interviews, training and games. There are 12 districts in total. I live in District 2. Here's how the games work- each tribute fights to death until one tribute remains. They will be crowned victor. 

Where I live, volunteers aren't that rare. My name is Clove Kentwell. Of course my mother and father knew I had been throwing knives since I was 7, but did they know I had the gut to volunteer for the games? And that I really wasn't nervous- excited, actually. To kill and win. 

Cato has had this same thirst of aggression as well, but his mother and father know and they are encouraging him. They think he'll win, and I admit, he is darn strong and good with that sword.

 I finally find the dress, an ugly white one down to my calves with a black ribbon at my waist and I slip it on. When I go downstairs, my father kisses me on the head and wishes me luck not to get picked. My mother hugs me and tells me we better had go to the reaping square, or we'd be late. 

Me and my family don't live far away from it, just a couple blocks down so we walk there just fine. We say one last goodbye then I step into a line where the peacekeepers will take a drop of blood to identify me. When it is my turn, the peacekeeper gruffly grabs my finger. She puts a little machine to it, and I feel the prick. It doesn't really hurt, maybe I'm too excited. A little bead of blood wells up on it, and I press it to a piece of paper. Then I line up with the other girls. 

The reaping is about to start. Across from me, Cato makes a fake scared face and mouths, Oh, no, please don't take me! I'm too vulnerable! We both snort with laughter. District 2's famously known escort, Titlianda, glides on to stage, which actually looks really funny because she's not wearing anything long and graceful, just a short and skimpy icy blue skirt with a really ugly white and red top. "Another Hunger Games!" She almost screeches into the microphone. "How exciting! Well, lets get right to it. You all now, ladies have the first honor!" She swaggers up to the glass ball on the left, which contains all the names. She carefully selects a piece of paper. She delicatly unfolds it. She takes a deep breath before saying the name.

"Alicity Pliki-"

"I volunteer as tribute!"

I confidently and excitedly step forward to take my place. I feel Cato stare at me with the same excitement. Alicity, who already had started walking toward the stage, looks hard at me. "Im going to be the tribute, ok? I got called. It's not your choice. I want to be the tribute." Now I'm getting annoyed. I saved this girls life! It's not like she was going to survive anyways. "I really don't care about your thoughts. I volunteered, I'm the tribute." 

Dead silence. We both know the crowd is waiting for something. So we gladly give them it. Alicity takes the first swing at me, aiming for my throat. I duck, having more expierence with combat. I punch her back, right in the center of her forehead. She stumbles, and while she trips, I hit her stomach. The crowd chants Fight! Fight! And I hear Cati as the loudest. I laugh. I hit her multiple times until two peacekeepers yank me off her by the wrist. "You put up the fight of my life!" I yell at her sarcastically. Alicity is now getting carried off on a stretcher, blood covering her face and torso. I struggle against the peacekeepers, but their grip on me is too tight. On stage, Titlianda looks shocked. The boys and girls look thrilled to have seen some blood. I smile victoriously. Titlianda glides to the middle of the stage and says, "Very exciting indeed, but I see no need for a fight right now! You'll get all the fights you want in the arena. Now, what is your name?" She asks. "Clove," I say calmly. "Clove Kentwell." She nods. "Well, Clove, I have no doubt you stand a chance!" she squeals. I don't say anything back. I ignore the pained stares from my parents. Titlianda glides off to the glass ball on the right to pick the boy tribute. She carefully pulls out a slip of paper and reads the name out.

"Kaki Nuku-"

"I volunteer as tribute!"

Cato steps forward and walks onto stage before anyone can protest. Titlianda looks super excited. "Brilliant! What's your name, young man?" Cato responds, and I can tell he's trying to keep his voice steady from excitement. "Cato Hadley." Titlianda nods. "Alright, the tributes from District 2!" The crowd cheers and hoots. I always knew that my district liked watching the games, especialy watching their volunteers fight and win.