Amusement

Wills trance breaks once again.

His body still hovers beside his fathers corpse, his glove-covered hands a familiar shade. It's Hannibal's voice which brings him back to reality, though unlike his dream from moments before, there's no sense of urgency.

Will stumbles out of the tent, eyes glued towards the concrete. He cautiously regards his surroundings, through the dim light perceiving the moon directly above them, eliminating the possibility of sunlight for another several hours. The moment he progresses forwards, his legs weaken from beneath him without warning, sending him tumbling inelegantly to the ground. Only when his knees hit the chilled stone, he realises the extent of his shakiness. He hates feeling like this. Weak. Within an instant, a feeling akin to distaste emerges, and thoughts of his childhood flood through his mind. When his father would make him feel small, feeble, useless- and even in his death, he continues to force these emotions into Will.

The sentiments cloud his brain like fog, overwhelming his already susceptible senses, yet he doesn't retaliate as Hannibal instinctively clutches around his torso and hoists him to his feet. He staggers unsteadily, but eventually stands without the secondary aid, albeit it takes him a while.

"How long have I been in there?" Will attempts to speak, though his voice is raspy and scarcely audible. He internally curses to himself.

"Half an hour or so. I was beginning to get worried." Hannibal replies, placing a soothing hand upon his shoulder. Then, he assists in guiding Will away, rather than leaving him alone.

***

The drive is accompanied by a tense silence, with Will's eyes fixed to the scenery as they travel. He is sure to avoid all visual contact, and he doesn't dare meet his friends occasional concerned stare with his own. Meanwhile, conflicting thoughts continue to circulate within his head, the gorey image of his dad, along with his intense daydream with Hannibal. A vague flush creeps up his neck and onto his cheeks, though he isn't entirely sure whether the latter or the former is the source.

Suddenly, Wills stomach growls loudly, and as if on queue, they pass a bright yellow sign, shaped in a large 'M.' His eyes light up.

"Hannibal," Will finally vocalises, his eyes glued to the fast food joint.

"No." Hannibal returns bluntly within a split second, as if he could read Wills mind.

"Hannibal.. Please?" He responds, turning to the driver to look up at him with big, puppy-like eyes. With all that Hannibal has done for him, he is entirely satisfied he'll give in.

As predicted, Hannibal inhales sharply, before signalling towards the McDonald's, earning a soft, gleeful grin from Will.

"...Only because nothing else will be open at this hour." Hannibal sighs in defeat, refusing to reveal that there is almost nothing he is capable of denying Will, especially when he looks at him like that.

They enter the establishment with Hannibal trailing behind Will, the smell of the grease making his face scrunch in disgust. As Will turns to him however, he relaxes his muscles and smiles, nodding Will towards the counter. As its Hannibal's first time in a McDonald's, Will orders them food and brings them towards a table, a tray clutched in his hands. He can tell Hannibal is uncomfortable, and also that he's trying his best to put on a content face. Will finds himself grateful, though utterly amused.

"You don't have to eat that." Will chuckles, then bites down on a chicken nugget. Hannibal sits opposite him with a burger raised to his mouth, and a hesitant, almost regretful look.

"No, no, I insist. I'm sure it's.. delicious." He follows Wills actions and takes a bite, and within a split second, disgust flashes across his mien. He continues to chew and swallow it, yet he places the burger into the box with disgrace.