A Threat

TW; Slight bodily harm/torture near the end

Several days pass, and the rumors about Will's father spread like a wildfire throughout the Baltimore high school. While the distance everyone provides him is appreciated, the apparent gossiping is not; and instead, forces Will's senses into overdrive.

Hannibal rightfully gives him space, though joins him during breaks without fail. His presence undoubtedly comforts him, which in return, stirs a deep satisfaction within Hannibal. Chiyoh occasionally accompanies the two boys, bringing with her an intense glare offered solely at Will. When he would make a feeble attempt to converse, to fill the consuming silence, he would be met by narrowed eyes. Hannibal must've noticed and spoken to her privately, Will thought, as she suddenly began speaking to him after class one day. He appreciates that her prompts and replies are typically blunt or close-ended, as he seeks a distraction, not fully developed conversations, or something which would overwhelm his empathy.

They sit in a familiar spot on the grass, where Abel was once beat. Now, however, the only thing laying upon the grass is a thin sheet, supplied by Hannibal. Chiyoh resides a short distance away with her back towards the the others, allowing them to confer without her, but contrarily, she remains attentive.

Sitting cross legged atop the fabric, Hannibal passes a bowl to Will and removes the plastic cover. Thick clouds of steam rise into the air within an instant, filling the immediate area with its aroma.

"How is this still hot?" Will asks, while blowing across the surface, causing it to ripple beneath his delicate exhale.

"Faculty room. If I provide them food, they occasionally grant me access." Hannibal hums, handing Will some silverware. Intricate patterns are engraved in the metal with fineness, and they feel too expensive to be on school property, especially in Will's possession.

"So.. Bribery?"

"On their part." Hannibal release a soft chuckle, then glances towards his own bowl. He traces each ingredient with his eyes, eliciting Will to do the same.
"Silkie chicken in a broth with wolfberries, ginseng, ginger, red dates and star anise."

Will uses his spoon to push around the contents as they're named, watching as the inky skin of the bird becomes enveloped in the clouded, pleasantly scented soup.

"You made me chicken soup?"

"...Yes."

They share a brief look; Wills expression playful, and despite Hannibal's attempt to seem annoyed, Will can't help but notice the understated rising of the corners of his mouth.

***

Wills after school detention seems endless, and he doesn't think it's entirely fair, especially if you take into account his situation. Predictably, he's overjoyed when he's finally released. This time, not unlike the days prior, Hannibal vowed to wait in the parking lot, so he briskly departs, his footsteps determined and echoey down the vacant hall ways.

Within a split second, a tight hand is wrapped around his eyes; tugging him to an unforeseen stop. Will gasps, his heart instantly racing within his chest- the sudden absence of his vision sending currents down his spine. His brain mimics this, rapidly striving to piece together the set of circumstances, and how this may end for him. The heat of the other is a foreign, hostile presence against his back that sends alarm bells ringing deafeningly within his ears.

"Guess who." A voice chimes from behind him. It's familiar, but not instantly recognisable. It's not Hannibal.

"I don't—" The tight constrictions around Will seem to narrow, and he can feel his chest tightening from the anxiety. With a sudden burst of strength, he twists himself around and, as hard as he can, pushes the individual away; sending them flying onto the floor.