Chapter 17

It takes a full month for my back to heal completely. I skip using the scar cream that Sparkle buys me because I want the marks on my back to be a reminder of what I'm fighting for. Sparkle thinks "preserving my beauty" is the most important thing, but, unlike her, I'm not planning for any nude scenes in the latest rom-com vid blazing across the internet, thank you very much.

The headmaster continues to keep a close eye on me, and I never know when he's going to pop into one of my classes to observe. I think he's still buying my humble act because he gives me the occasional nod of approval when he sees me deliver a monologue in Remedial Acting or perform a drum solo in Music.

It's late in June when we begin learning makeup techniques in Lady Cleo's class that I actually find enjoyable. We're turning ourselves into monsters and making full use of our makeup kits. I make a convincing Bride of Frankenstein and am admiring myself in the mirror when Ken stands next to me. He's made himself up as a goblin but made sure that he's a hot goblin.

"You should make this getup your regular look. You're almost fuckable like this," he says, loud enough for his comment to be appreciated, and everyone laughs at their favorite scapegoat getting cut down.

"Sorry, Ken. Even the Bride of Frankenstein wouldn't want to catch your gonorrhea," I retort, rather enjoying our fight, especially when Ken scowls and Sparkle giggles.

Before Ken can make yet another comment about my virginity, which he likes to tease me about on a weekly basis because it always makes me blush, Lady Cleo's board pings with a message.

Joan Fasces to report to Headmaster Hunter's office.

My hands start sweating, and my stomach churns, even though I know logically that I've played my part as the "good girl."

"Ooooooooo," the class says when they read the message.

I'm relieved they're teasing me because hopefully that means that they don't think I'm in for another serious punishment. When the headmaster pulled me into the courtyard to be whipped, no one laughed, not even Ken.

"Go now, Joan," Lady Cleo says.

Am I imagining the reassurance in her eyes? I hope not. On my way out the door, I make eye contact with Sparkle, and my fear spikes again. She is pale and swallows convulsively as if she is terrified of what might happen to me.

The headmaster's office is on the top floor of the theater, and I decide to take the stairs instead of the elevator to run off some of my excess energy.

When I burst through the door at the top of the stairs into a small lobby, a woman sitting behind a desk with a huge holographic tablet stifles a scream at my appearance, and I remember my monster makeup.

"Joan Fasces. I came from Costumes and Makeup because the headmaster called for me."

The woman's breathing slows. She's an aging Marilyn, still gorgeous in spite of the wrinkles by her eyes and mouth. I hope Sparkle never meets her and discovers that someone with her clone type ended up as a secretary; she would be so depressed.

"Are you the newest girl?" she asks. "It will go better if you treat it all like another acting assignment. That's what I did."

"What are you talking about?"

Her face drains of color. "Please don't tell him I said anything."

The door to the headmaster's office opens automatically. Dr. Hunter looms behind it.

"Come in," he commands me, and then turns to his assistant. "When Ms. White arrives, send her straight in. We have a very special guest today."

The Marilyn bobs her head and keeps her eyes down.