Chapter 34

"You're sending us home? Now?" Elizabeth barks at Crew, her back straight, imperial.

"I know how essential you think you are, but in reality, the rebellion functions fine without its most junior members," Nic snaps, rubbing his temples.

Good. I hope this is a hangover that makes him think twice about binging on Amp again in the near future. Especially when it sounds like I'll be gone for the Fourth of July holiday weekend like the rest of the students at our school, unable to babysit him.

Crew smoothly steps in. "Now is not the time to raise suspicions. Normal first-year students are eager to visit their homes after weeks away. Strand and Headmaster Hunter are already watching us closely, and it is unacceptable to attract their attention further. No slipups when we're this close to Circe Night."

After Crew's pronouncement, most of the students leave. Everyone has too much jittery energy to be contained inside Crew's classroom today. Nic and I aren't free, however. It's the last rehearsal at Strand before official taping begins after the holiday.

As we wait for Strand's car to come for us, Nic mutters something.

"Speak up. I prefer to be able to understand the insults thrown at me so I can properly respond."

Nic faces me, his usual expression of superiority absent. "Thank you. For helping me last night and for getting me clean in the first place. I don't know how long I'll last sober, but I'm glad I am for now."

"As thank-yous go, that one sucks. I'll take brooding Nic over weak Nic any day."

"I know you want to hear that I'll take responsibility for my life and stay clean, but—"

"But you can't. It's too hard," I cut in, remembering what my parents used to say.

"But I don't want to lie to you," Nic finishes. "Off Amp, everything is in such clear focus. It's been so long since I've been clean, I forgot how intensely beautiful life can be. But I also didn't remember how painful it is. I need the Amp to dull the edges."

"Stay clean until after Circe Night. I don't want you messing anything up because you're high."

"I will," he says, his eyes searching my face.

Strand's car pulls up, and I get in without another word. The ride to Strand's studios is excruciating as Nic and I make polite small talk in case anyone is monitoring our conversation.

It's a relief to step onto Blake Green's sets and rehearse my scenes for the billionth time.

"You two, I'm not worried about," Blake says, putting one hand on my shoulder and the other on Nic's. "If only the rest of these Knockoffs could follow simple cues."

I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from scowling at the director. Sweet Lil' Joanie never scowls.

"We're so thankful to be a part of your great work, sir," Nic says, and Blake gives him an approving nod.

"There'd be far fewer problems in this country if all Throwbacks behaved like you two. Which reminds me." Blake picks up his tablet and quickly taps on the screen. "I've sent passes to each of your phones that will provide you and one guest access to the screening of our film. You may bring guests like yourselves, who are respectful to Evolved superiors."

"It's like we're real stars," I simper.

Blake smiles at me indulgently. "Enjoy it, my dear."

My phone buzzes with the notification that Blake's passes have been added to my phone's contents. I scan the details, and my eyes freeze when I see the date for the screening.