Chapter 22

The school allots us half a day to recover from the raid. I'm amazed by how efficiently the mess gets cleaned up. Our destroyed mattresses are carted away before lunch, with promises that new ones will be delivered by dinner. It's obvious that the school has established a process for how to handle raids because it's such a common occurrence.

"This school must have some major cash in the bank to replace so many mattresses," Sparkle says, shaking her head. "My sisters and I slept on the ground for half our lives because every time Mom could finally afford a new mattress, it'd get ripped open in the next raid."

The unfairness of it all makes my anger rise until I think it will choke me, but I swallow it down in front of Sparkle. I have to wait to unleash my growing rage until I'm safely in Crew's classroom, where I can do something about it.

Life as a Throwback is darker and more dangerous than I ever imagined. If the police had found Jo's tablet, and Sparkle and I had to make a run for it, how would we evade the police? We couldn't escape to the Lab and lead the police there. On foot, the police would close in on us in minutes. We'd never make it off campus.

Maybe it's not logical, but if my sleek black motorcycle was nearby . . . at least there'd be a chance to make a speedy getaway. The idea of asking my parents for a favor makes me shudder, but I pull out my phone and send them a holo-message anyway. A parking spot on campus for my bike isn't cheap, but the peace of mind is worth it.

It's a Tuesday, which would usually mean I'd have my least favorite class in the afternoon, Movement. Instead, Nic and I are pinged on our tablets to attend a second rehearsal at Strand. This time, an autonomous car is sent to pick us up so we don't have to take the bus.

"We're moving up in the world," Nic mutters as we climb into the sleek black car.

"Why would they—"

"Nicely decorated, isn't it?" Nic interrupts me, and he deliberately looks from me to the front of the car and flashes a wide, fake smile. "We're so lucky that Strand is this generous."

Nic's message is clear. The car is bugged, so we have to watch what we say. Lexi White must want to keep a close eye on us. The rest of the ride to Strand's studios is quiet, since I can't stomach making fake conversation about how great the Evolved are after the raid we endured the night before.

Inside the studio, the director is talking with a group of good-looking actors whose arms are unmarked. These must be the Evolved actors we will have the "privilege" of meeting.

I notice that the other members of the Throwback cast are nervous, straightening their clothes and patting down their hair. Do they buy into this story Blake Greene has told us—that we're lucky to be in the hallowed presence of the Evolved? Really?

I turn my attention away from the actors and assess the room instead, searching for a tablet that I could steal to get on Strand's intranet and find the information we need. There are a couple of Sofia clone types on set who carry tablets, but they don't let them out of their grip.

Blake has a larger holographic tablet near him that he's less possessive of, but it's unlikely that I would get away with grabbing the director's flashy tablet without anyone noticing.

Nic talks with one of the Evolved actors, his demeanor cool but respectful. I grit my teeth and mingle with the other actors as well, but most of my attention is on scoping out the technology in the room.

"You seem distracted," a low voice says.

I almost step on Blake Greene's foot.

"Sorry, sir," I say, widening my eyes and making my voice as sweet as I can.