Chapter 37

Harriet and Justus both send texts that I ignore. If either of them guesses what I'm planning, they'll try to stop me. But the sight of Sparkle's empty bed reminds me that turning back isn't possible.

A shadow on my bed moves. I move deliberately and swiftly, like I learned in Movement class. My hand closes around a tiny wrist, and I yank Maverick into the light. One of his eyes is swollen shut, and a long, purple bruise extends from his cheekbone to his jaw.

"I'm okay," he says, his voice small but steady.

I turn on a light to look at him more carefully, noticing the cuts on his knuckles. "I hope you got a few good hits in."

Mav smiles, his eyes sparking. "I did."

"I'm proud of you. Now tell me everything."

I pull out my first-aid kit and start treating his knuckles with a numbing cream.

"I got what you needed. The addresses of the people at Strand."

I shut my eyes, hating myself. These bruises are because of my bad judgment. Justus was right. I should never have allowed Mav to think that I'd let him help me.

"I'm so sorry," I choke out, blinking quickly so he won't see my tears.

"No!" Mav says, and his eyes flash. "I did something good, something to make up for all the bad my dad has done."

"Your dad?"

Mav gulps. "My dad is the headmaster of your school. I hate him. He's so mean to everyone. That's why Mom left. She took me with her, but he found me and made me come back here. He only lets me see her if I'm good."

"That's horrible," I whisper, pulling him closer to me as I absorb the bomb that Mav has dropped.

The idea that Mav and the headmaster share DNA is further proof that nurture trumps nature every time. I never would have guessed the connection between them if he hadn't told me.

"He hurt Mom. He hurt you. He hurt me. I have to do something to make up for all the hurting he's done," Mav says.

Pity and fear dissolve into wonder. Not many eight-year-olds try to right the wrongs of their parents.

His hand trembles, cradled between both of mine. I rest my forehead against his. "You aren't the one who needs to make up for anything. You are good, and this information will help right a lot of wrongs. You're a hero."

Mav is crying, and his voice shakes. "Are you mad at me? For not telling you who my dad is?"

"No, I understand. You are even braver than I imagined."

I almost wipe away Mav's tears before remembering that if he's the headmaster's son, then he's Evolved. Too much contact with his tears would end my life.

"Does your dad know that you took the addresses?"

"He knows I was on his tablet, but he doesn't know what I took from him. I told him I was watching vids on it, since mine has a ton of blocks to keep me from watching anything interesting."

"You're sure he believed you?"

Mav nods, his eyes old and sad in his baby face. "He would have hurt me a lot worse if he knew. And he'd never let me out of the house again."

I swallow a scream of frustration because that isn't what Mav needs now. He needs my strength.

"You're staying with me," I tell him, crawling under my covers and then holding them open so he can climb in with me.

Mav wriggles until he's comfortable and falls asleep. I hold him, gently pushing his hair back off his forehead so that I can memorize the lines of his bruises.