#1 Welcome

I zip up the duffel bag and straighten up. My eyes drift across the room, taking in the columns of magazines, rows of plushy figurines at the shelves, strings of ferry lights coiled around the bed posts – I want to etch them all to my memory, as if it's my last time here.

But I'll be back, with the clothes and knick-knacks I'm taking with me for my temporary relocation.

Only that, the next time I'll step back into my room, I won't have a mate.

My chest tightens again. 

Drowning in self-pity, I don't notice Nara coming to my room. "Ready?" she says from the door. 

Snapping out of it, I look at her. Wearing her signature biker jacket and dark skinny jeans, that matches her pixie hair, she leans against the frame with a smirk.

I nod, pointing my hand at the bag that I'd just finished stuffing.

She comes in and picks up both of my bags. "Everyone is waiting downstairs. You can drown in your misery on our way. Come down quick," she says and leaves me alone.

I look around the room once again, hoping for a miracle someone will come running upstairs to tell me I don't have to go.

Till then, I've to do what I was asked to.

As I climb down, I see the living room is full. My stomach twists at the crowd. I told my mom I want to just pack up and leave, without a traditional seeing-off by our coven. But she didn't listen.

I understand, as the next head, the responsibilities I've towards our traditions. But sometimes, I just want exceptions. Especially for exceptional circumstances like the one I'm experiencing now.

My mother sees me and comes over. "Everything packed? Got everything you need?"

"I'm good."

She places her hands over my shoulders with a worried face. "Cassandra, you know that I would never–"

"Mom, I know you're sending me because we've no other option. I'll be fine. And I won't be alone, Nara and Jenny are coming with me. We'll be fine."

My mother doesn't look very convinced, but she nods. "I talked to the Alpha and Alpha's father over the phone."

My stomach makes a flip at the mention of him.

How am I going to do this?

She says, "They have arranged your accommodation there. I also talked to Hannah. Rest tonight, and see her the first thing tomorrow. She'll update you on everything."

"Was there any incident today? If so, I would like to see her as soon as I reach Red Peak ," I tell my mother.

"Nothing happened today. That's why you visit Hannah's coven tomorrow morning. Alright," she says, kissing my forehead, "Take care. And make sure those two don't get into trouble."

I smile at my mom's very reasonable worry about Nara and Jenny.

––––

Following over seven hours of driving, we reach a lush forest.

One more hour of driving into the forest and we start to see a clearing. There's a roadblock with a handful of jeeps parked nearby and a group of men spread out.

From behind, Jenny peeks her head between the front seats, whistling. Her red, wavy hair almost blocks my view to the other side. "I'm never leaving," she says.

I smile at her excitement. And as I look at the muscular men, I can see why any of us wouldn't want to leave this place, either.

We have men in our coven. But they are no match for these werewolves. Almost everyone here are bigger, muscular, taller, tanner, and overall, hotter.