#5 Birthday

"You think it's him?" I say to mom over the phone.

"That's what the council is suspecting. But, personally, I don't think it's him," she says.

I feel disappointed. For a second, I thought we had our guy. But if my mother says he might not be the one, then he's not the one. My coven's council will look into the suspected wizard anyway.

"You've anyone else in mind?" I ask.

I hear her heavy sigh. "No one. Sure, we got some disgruntled wizards here and there. But none of them fit the profile of someone who has gone deviant and has a vendetta against werewolves."

I silently think over her comment.

"Cassandra?" mom says, checking if I heard her.

"Mom," I tell her, "What if it is not a wizard?"

"You think it's a witch?"

"No. Let's assume it's still a guy who is behind all this. But what if that guy is not a wizard? What if it's a guy that can just perform some basic spells? Invisibility and mind control of rogues are not that complex to perform."

"Are you talking about Assent of Light?"

"Yes."

Mom silently thinks about what I said at the other end of the line.

Assent of Light is a phenomenon where, meeting certain criteria and circumstances, a witch or a wizard transfer their power to someone who is not born with the ability to conjure magic. There are three instances of this phenomenon in our recorded history. The last one happened two centuries ago.

"Alright," mom says, "With options running out, we should consider all possibilities. Remember the passing of Muriel two years ago?"

I nod, even though she can't see me. "Yes. You think she could've done it?"

"She was recluse and quite frankly, losing it. Someone could've taken advantage of that. And she was also one of the most powerful elders. With her skills, I won't be surprised if she was able to perform Assent of Light even in her state."

I nod again. "Then you should definitely look into it."

"I will. Now, how about things over there? You're not having any problems, right?"

I did not tell mom my last encounter with Leon. She wouldn't like someone ordering me around like that."No. Everything is great here. Although, a part of me really wants those rogues to come soon, so we could get this over with."

"I know. But be patient. I promised them we'll see this through till the end. Be ready for when the rogues appear."

"Okay, I will."

"What's the plan tomorrow?"

I smile. "Nothing yet. A week ago Sabrina said there's a fair in a nearby town. If it's still there, we might go in the evening."

"That's it? What about tonight?"

"Mom, there's nothing much to do here. Every one here just likes to run in four legs in the forest." Mom laughs at that.

"That's bad," she says. "I wish you were here at home. I feel bad I won't be with you tomorrow on your birthday."

"Don't worry, mom. I still have Nara and Jenny here. I'm sure they'll keep me entertained tomorrow."

Mom laughs again. "Okay. Have a good time tomorrow then. But don't cause anyone any trouble."

"We won't."