#17 Kiss

I avoided Reagan like the plague at the breakfast, and luckily he didn't try to start a conversation with me. Jack kept him busy. 

The rest of the day goes uneventful.

I fall across the bed, my head hanging back at the side. "I'm so useless."

Jenny, lying beside me and looking at the phone propped in her hand, asks, "Why?"

"I can't find my brother. Leon is still engaged to Irene. One of my best friends is trying to score my mate's straight sister. My mo–"

"Hey!" Nara says from the couch. "I'm not trying to score Sabrina. I don't know what Jenny told you, but I'm not going after Sabrina. Sure she's cute, but she's not worth the trouble."

I continue as if I wasn't interrupted. "My mom doesn't want me back at home. I'm unable to flirt with Reagan. Leo–"

"Like you know how to flirt in the first place," mutters Jenny.

I ignore her, too, and continue, "Leon keeps giving me mixed signals. The other best friend won't even let me lie down on her bed. I ca–"

Nara's phone beeps, interrupting me. She looks at her phone and says to me, "Sorry. Carry on."

"You know what?" I say, spreading my arms wider on the double bed. "This bed is the only good thing that has happened to me. Just bury me here and let the headboard be my tombstone."

Nara looks up from her phone and says, "Sabrina is asking us to come to the restaurant for dinner."

"Yay! I'm starving," Jenny says before sitting up on the bed.

"GOD! Please tell me at least you were listening," I cry at the ceiling.

––––

After dinner, we all go to the beach. My bad luck, Irene sits next to Leon. Since they are to my side, I keep my eyes forward, avoiding them.

Soon, our crowd starts to dissipate. Jack and some of his friends go for a swim in the ocean. I swear these werewolves have never felt cold in their lives. Few others have gone to the open bar nearby the beach. And some have gone for a stroll. There's only a handful of us sitting by the fire.

Unable to resist any longer, I take a quick peek at Leon and Irene.

She has leaned into him with her hand over his shoulder. And her lips, are on his. He instantly moves away from her.

But what's done is done. I saw something I wish I never had.

I clench my jaws and move my eyes forward, fighting back the tears.

Through the corner of my eye, I see him get up and walk towards the ocean to join his friends.

I look again at my side.

Irene is staring back at me with a smirk, looking pleased with herself.

One tear slips my right eye and I wipe it off quickly. The last person I want to cry in front of is Irene. But for some reason the tears keep coming down. I get up and start to walk towards the bar where Jenny and Nara are.

Halfway through, I'm pulled away behind a tree.

Irene lets go of my hand. "You think you can get him with your fake tears?" she says.

I turn around to leave but she spins me back to face her.

"I'm not doing anything, okay?" I tell her, taking my hand away from her. "I'm sorry if I got a bit emotional seeing someone kiss my mate. But I'm keeping it to myself. You're the one creating a scene. Or do you want him to know that I saw your kiss?"