#21 Forgot

"I know everything I need to know about you and your powers," Leon says. "I asked Hanna about it."

"Tell me what you know," I say.

"I know you're addressed as either Ms. Winston or Zara'fu by your coven. I know Nara and Jenny are your vice chiefs. You can conjure a weapon. You like to hang out at a magic market."

I laugh out loud at "magic market." It's the first time someone called Rumens market that.

"Alright, that's enough," I tell him, not wanting to know what else he knows about me. It's making me feel guilty. He's right: I should've learned a bit more about werwolves.

I say, "The things I don't know about werewolves, you teach me."

"With pleasure," he says before suggestively adding, "As a complimentary service, I'll teach you few more things you don't know, too."

––––

It's the next day and we've returned to Red Peak. Me, Nara and Jenny are invited for dinner at the main house.

I'm relatively in a good mood as I take my seat at the dinner table. In fact, it's been a while since I've been this happy. I feel like Leon and I have gotten a lot closer to each other during the trip.

And just when I thought I was on cloud nine, I come crashing down on a hard concrete floor when I hear Leon's mother mention his birthday next week.

I completely forgot about that! My unconscious mind probably buried it away without me knowing so I won't get hurt.

He'll turn 21 next week, and on his birthday our bond is arranged to be broken.

Worried, I look at him from across the farther side of the table. He doesn't notice me and looks like he's in deep thought.

I lose my appetite and put down my fork.

How could I've been so stupid to forget about his birthday?

After dinner, I return to the guesthouse with my friends.

To make matters worse, my mother decides to call me now and remind me about the same dreading event I was already stressed about.

She'll be here for the "ceremony," and Hanna will perform it.

At night, unable to sleep, just when I was thinking of going out for a walk, I hear Leon climbing up into my room through the window.

"Hey," he says, sitting next to me on my bed.

"What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to check on you. You looked worried at the dinner table," he says.

"Which I should be."

There are so many things I'm worried about now. The worst one is the possibility of having our bond broken.

But let's say that doesn't happen, and I've to have faith in Leon that he won't let that happen, there are still other issues.

For instance, how is Leon going to stop it from happening? Is he going to tell everyone he has decided to accept me as his mate? Which is something I've always badly wanted to happen.

However, as much as I've been craving for him to tell his pack that I'm going to be his Luna, I completely forgot about my own coven, and my mother.

How will they react if I tell them I want to be Leon's mate forever.

Since the dinner, my mother's warnings about staying away from Leon has been replaying in my mind. I promised her I would.

And not only did I broke the promise, I've since long crossed the line from where things can never go back to how they were before between Leon and I.

What will my mom say to all this? Will she still think I've what it takes to lead our coven? Or will she be disappointed in me?

I press my hands against my temples.

"Don't worry," Leon says. "Nothing will happen on my birthday."

"My mom called," I tell him. "She said she and our elders will be here that evening to see through the severance of our bond."

I'm not sure if my mom wants to be here that day for moral support or to make sure I don't bail. Either way, she would be right to be here.

"Like I said, don't worry about it. They won't come. I'll make sure of that. The ceremony won't happen."

"How? You've a plan?"

"I do. But let's not talk about it. Just trust me on this one. I won't let it happen."

"Whatever happens can you promise me my mom won't find out about us? I don't want her to know about us yet."

He raises his eyebrows. "And all this time, you've been accusing me of not telling my pack about us."

"Fine. I'm sorry. We're both cowards."

"Don't include me. At least my family and friends know about my decision."

"What?! Your family knows?"

He nods.

"Your parents know?!"

He nods. "They've always known. Who do you think helped me to break into your coven's land to see you when we were young? It was my dad," he says proudly.

I don't know if I should be happy or worried about that.

"Why you never told me anything?" I ask him.

"Because I had to confirm first."

"Confirm what?"

"That you felt the same way about me. I'd to know if you wanted to remain as my mate, too."

"And what if I didn't?"

He smirks. "I still wouldn't have let you go."

I caress his cheek. "All this time, I thought it was just me who wanted you."

He holds my hand on his cheek. "I thought the same, too."

He brings down my hand and gives me a quick kiss. "Why don't we do something together so you can calm down about my birthday and stop feeling anxious?"

"Like what?"

"Let's go on a date."

I laugh. "No. As much as I want to, we can't risk being seen together, especially now."

"We can go somewhere far away. No one would know."

"Where?"

"I don't know, but I'll find a good place. Just say yes."

Somewhere far away, I think. "Actually, I've a place in mind where we could go."