#3 Cassandra

As soon as they see us, the kids run to him. They hang from his arms and legs, asking him to play with them.

What happens next is then etched in my mind forever. I see Leon smile. He's smiling at them as he rejects their plea. "Next time, guys. Ms. Wilson and her friend are here to ask you some questions about the dark cloud you guys saw. Answer her, okay?"

"Yes, Alpha," they say in unison, making me chuckle.

However, I did not miss him using my last name instead of first. I'm used to people addressing me as Ms. Wilson. That's what most people in my coven call me, out of respect. But werewolves, especially the Alphas and Betas, don't do such formalities. That's why it hurts that he went out of his way to avoid saying my name.

"Who saw it first?" I ask the kids.

A young boy comes forward. "I did," he confidently says.

"What's your name?"

"Vince Pressman," he sharply replies.

Pressman? 

"He's my cousin," Leon says.

"Oh," I say, to no one in particular. "Vince, what were you doing in the playground when you saw the dark cloud?"

"I was playing soccer."

"Where did you see it?"

He points at the trees behind.

"Could you be more specific? Where among the trees?"

"Between that and that tree," he says pointing at two adjacent trees.

"What did it look like?"

"It... It looked like smoke.''

"Did that smoke had any shape? Round, oval, anything?" I ask him, even though I'm sure it didn't.

"No," he says.

I look back at the trees. A spread of black smoke. Nara was right. It really isn't much to go on with. I need more information.

"Did you see anyone near the playground while you were playing?" I ask Vince.

"No."

I ask the same questions to the other kids, and get the same answers. 

I look back at the trees, hoping to get any clue. Nothing. I look back at Vince. He looks like a bright kid. The type of kid that's quick to notice things.

I ask him, "Vince, did you recently feel or see something weird? Something that scared you?"

For a split second, he looks uncomfortable. But he quickly corrects his face, shakes his head, and says, "No."

I'm not the only one who noticed that.

"Kids," Leon says, "It'll take some time for Vince to answer the questions. Why don't you guys go to Hannah's place and have some cookies?"

They all excitedly leave the ground, running towards the direction we came from.

Leon kneels beside Vince and says, "No one's here who might make fun of you now. Tell me what scared you?"

My heart makes a somersault at the care in his voice. My mate is so caring. I mentally slap myself for thinking that.

The boy looks at me and Nara, hesitantly.

"They are my friends. They won't say anything, I promise," Leon says.

"I, uh, I think I saw it before, too," the boy says.