#25 Home (The End)

Jack turns the key and opens the cell gate. After getting in, I turn back hoping Jack would leave but he shows no sign of that. Sighing, I face forward towards my brother, Philip.

He looks back at me from his chair. He's not restrained. No need to, either, since I've put an enclosure spell on his cell so he won't be able to leave or use magic. 

"If you apologise for your actions, they'll let me move you to our coven," I say.

By they, I mean the werewolf council. Because, I helped capture Philip, Leon can convince the council to show leniency towards my brother so he could face the trial and punishment by our coven, not the werewolves.

Philip snorts and looks away, ignoring what I said.

"Please, Philip. It'll be dangerous for you to be in werewolf prison. Mom might send you to Maglow's, but you'll be safe there, and I'll be able to see you often. I'll even eventually convince her to transfer you back home."

Maglow prison is a high security prison in another dimension. It's where witches and wizards who had committed serious crimes are held.

"I don't need your pity," Philip says. "I'm not going to bow down to them."

My eyes start to tear up at his stubbornness. "I won't let them take you, no matter what. I won't let anyone hurt you. Please, Philip. Leon will talk to them. They'll let me take you home."

Philip gets angry. "I'd rather die than take his help. One day, I will get out, and when I do, I'll kill him first."

Jack gives a bitter laugh behind me while tears start wetting my cheeks.

"Fine," I say. "You want Leon's life? You can have it. But know, you'll be killing me along with him." I move the collar of my neck to show him the mark.

Philip immediately leaves his chair and grabs me by my arms. Jack becomes alert but stays put.

"How could you do that? Why did you?!" shouts Philip.

"I love him. All you see in him is a werewolf, but he's much more than that for me. I don't care what he is — a werewolf, human, vampire or a wizard — I don't care! I will love him no matter what."

"And what about him?" Philip asks, shaking me. "Does he care about you while you so blindly love him, after everything he put you through?"

"He does. How else you think you're standing in front me now? Leon didn't hurt you and asked his men to stay away from you because you're my brother. He has loved me all along, and knows my heart. That's why he didn't harm you, even when he had every reason to, because he knows that as much as I love him, I love you, my only brother, even more. If anything happens to you, I can't take it. But you don't care about me, about how I feel. You want to kill my mate, not caring it'll kill me, too."

I lean forward and press my head against Philip's chest, crying.

Philip's expression softens as his arms wrap me gently. "I'm sorry," he whispers. "I never meant to hurt you. You're my everything, kid. I know I haven't been the best brother in the world, but everything I did, I did so that you would have a better future as a witch. But I forgot you are other things as well, like someone's mate. I promise you, I won't go against Leon. I don't ever want you to think that you might lose someone you love because of me."

————

As Leon promised, he persuaded the council to release Philip to my coven. My mother came to take Philip.

"I can't thank you enough for what you and your son had done for us," says my mother to George.

"Leon only did whatever was the right thing to do. Besides, Cassandra was the one who found Philip. Even though it was tough on her, to go against her own brother, she fulfilled her duties. You should be proud of her."