XXIII

TWENTY THREE // BELGIUM

Jimin is at the graveyard.

he stands at Namjoon's grave with a sorrowful look. he came with planned words and a confession to make, that he's involved with Serenity but now that he's here, he's speechless. seeing his friend in the form of a dull, grey stone doesn't help whatsoever. how can it?

he digs his hands into his coat pockets as he notices the stillness of the graveyard. there's just him. he comes here often but only in the mornings because he doesn't want people to see him.

he doesn't want to be seen so weak.

the world hates me, he thinks when he hears a familiar voice behind him. the same female voice he's heard in various forms. when she's upset, when she's excited, when she's playful and when she's beneath him. "i thought you don't come here?"

"i don't."

Serenity approaches the boy. she stands at a distance from him, their shoulders not touching. "why did you lie?" she asks, acknowledging how both of their eyes focus on the carving of Namjoon's name. it still hurts.

"i personally think one coming here makes them weak." Jimin confesses. him saying his vulnerable feelings out loud makes him feel worse. but he has nothing to lose. Serenity makes him feel whole yet so apart from the world. he doesn't know how to feel alive again, did he ever? "and i feel weak every time i come here." he says breathlessly.

Serenity listens. "weak? i think it makes you strong."

"i knew you'd say that."

Serenity smiles a small smile before she tucks her hair back into her beanie. it's a cold day and she's dressed exactly right for the weather. "i think it shows true strength to come here and remember someone." remembering someone who's dead is a struggle yet Jimin can tell Serenity also spends hours here, no matter how cold it can get or whatever time it is.

opposites.

"but do we come here to remember?" Jimin snaps suddenly. remembering and grieving are two different things. one can be very selfish and the other can be selfless. "or do we come here to mourn?" he wonders.

"you know why it makes me weak?" Jimin can't help the anger in his voice. it's not directed at his friend with benefits and he's glad she knows that. "i can't bring him back." finding him was the hardest and most traumatising thing i had to ever go through.

"that's why i try not to come here because what's the point?" Jimin sighs. he bends down and crumbles the soil in his hands as he clenches his jaw. "he's beneath all this soil and i could reach out but he'd crumble." just like this, the soil falls back to the ground.

"just like he did when he was alive."

Serenity takes his hand and it surprises him. he tenses due to her comforting touch which is ironic. "we can be weak and strong together." she says and he suddenly feels the need to protect her from the world. she's too good for me, he believes.

"come on, we're going somewhere else." Jimin announces and squeezes her hand as if it's the most natural action. he leads her out of the graveyard and doesn't miss the way she blows a kiss to Namjoon's stone.

the boy takes her to the carnival in the neighbourhood. it was a short walk and when they arrived, his mood had immediately shifted to one of excitement and happiness. he wants to have fun, he thinks as he drags Serenity to a queue for one of the rides.

"which other rides do you want to go on?" the male questions. he notices the sentiment in the atmosphere as she leans into his side and he kisses her knuckles. they're acting like a couple.

"let me win something for you." hours pass and Serenity shows a side to her she's never shown before. he reminds her of a little child, cheering him on before she tells him she's proud. he lets her take the teddy bear home.

"i want you to keep it." Serenity sighs and pushes it into his chest. she can't stop smiling at Jimin's smile. it takes up his face, eyes shining under the moonlight. "you're the one who won it for me. it's not fair."

"all i want is one thing." Jimin says smoothly as he pushes the teddy away before capturing her lips in a heated kiss.

they stand outside of her apartment complex as they kiss one another. it leaves them breathless. "take it anyway please?" Serenity pouts.

Jimin takes her keys before taking the teddy from her arms and walking into her building. he makes his way to her apartment, blank look on his face before he puts the prize on her bed. he leaves straight away.

SERENITY
thank you for tonight

JIMIN
you're most welcome baby