17

Virgil frowned as he followed Roman down this... well it wasn't a road, but it was clearly a path of some sort. Roman had insisted... ok more forced them both into taking a detour. Apparently, Roman was NOT going to risk Bandit territory after all that with the gremlins. Virgil didn't understand what was so bad. Yes, they were bandits but he fought a fucking dragon and won... well... He survived. Roman glanced back to notice Virgil slowing down and he frowned. 

"Virgil?" The smaller came to a stop as his eyes started to tear up making Roman freeze. "Virgil, what..."

"Sorry. I... I don't know why I'm crying." Virgil laughed as he wiped his tears away only for more to take their place. "It's been so long. You'd think I'd have moved on but..." Virgil plopped onto the ground as he cried into his hands. 

"Virgil?"

"I'm sorry. Just ignore me..." Virgil sighed as he let his hand drop to reveal his overly puffy eyes. "I'm just missing a friend."

"Well, the sooner we can get you home..." Virgil's eyes darkened as he shook his head making Roman clam up.

"That won't change anything. He's not there." Roman frowned in realization as Virgil smiled softly. "That damn asshole... he never woke up."

"Hey, now. We should get moving." Virgil's eyes slowly looked up making Roman tense at the unintentional and broken glare Virgil had given him. "It's going to get dark soon. We need to set up camp."

"Camp?" Virgil frowned as he looked up to see the sun was indeed falling. "Shit. Fine." Virgil slowly picked himself up as he rolled his eyes. "Fuck this though. I've never had to... camp before." Roman laughed as followed behind Virgil whos posture had clearly fallen since the whole crying thing.

"You know... that sounded for more privileged than I think you meant it to be." Virgil shot the other a confused look as Roman smiled.

"Privileged? Princey, I was under lockdown." 

"I know. Being stuck in that tower for..." Roman frowned seeing Virgil shake his head. "What?"

"I was never allowed to leave my home, Roman. That's what I meant by lockdown." Roman's eyes went wide as Virgil just shrugged. "The times I did... Something always happened."

"What do you mean?" Virgil looked away as he started to speed up only for Roman to take his arm and bring them both to a stop. "What do you mean?"

"I was never allowed outside. I couldn't even go to the garden..." Roman's face fell as Virgil just smiled. "When I was 10 I ran away... ended up getting found by some.... not so nice creatures." Roman's eyes flashed as Virgil laughed. "Got rescued and set home. That wasn't that bad but when I was 15 I took a trip to escort this girl home... We got attacked again by those same monsters." Roman was taken back by the anger in the other as he clenched his fist and quickly spun around. "She didn't make it. She..." Virgil bit his lip as he knew his eyes had be glowing. "She was killed before we ever got home. Then while I was still working through that.... they... they attacked my home."

"Virg..."

"They took my friend. They hurt him... They..." Virgil gasped as he bit his hand to stop his magic from flaring. Roman reached out to try and comfort him but stopped the moment Virgil seemed to deflate. "I'm ok. I just... I just want to get home."

"If it been attacked before and it's been 5 years... how do you know it's even still there. I mean Lillium."

"They haven't had me there." Roman frowned as Virgil cut him off with a smirk. "Without their main source of trouble, they should have no issues at all."

"I wouldn't be so sure." Virgil quirked his brow with a confused smirk.

"You act as though..."

"I'm just worried you may not be aware of the state of things there." Virgil's face fell noticing how serious Roman was. "It's not good there, Virgil. Trust me. I would NOT be going near it at all if I didn't promise you."

"It's not that bad." Virgil's gaze fell as he tried to work through it. "When I left... things were ok. Yes, the Woods there was a no go but... We managed. We didn't have any problems. Just that one attack and I handled it. No..." Roman frowned seeing how worked up Virgil was getting. "No. Things will be ok. I mean it's home. My home... I know."

"Virgil..."

"NO!" Virgil's eyes flashed as he shoved Roman's hand away startling the man. "I know things are different. I get things have changed but... My home is fine. It has to be. Despite everything, it stayed standing for so long. They're ok. My parents are ok." Virgil's eyes darted about trying to latch on to something. "They were fine when I left. Things were fine. It wasn't bad. I don't know why you keep saying..."

"Virgil, Lillium... It's not even a kingdom anymore. I don't know where in that area you home is but..." Everything crashed around the smaller as Roman tried to get him to focus on him. "The fact you're even using that name instead of the Darklands... Confuses the shit out of me."

"W-What..."

"There's nothing out there but ruins and monsters." Virgil was in shock. Correction... He was in denial.

"No."

"Virgil... I'm not saying that your home..." 

"My home can't be gone, Roman." Roman sighed as he stuffed his hands into his hand's pockets. "It's only been a few years."

"I'm not saying it is gone... I'm just saying alot can happen in a few years." Virgil met his eyes and Roman felt his heart lurch. "...especially there."

"I was only up there for a few years." Virgil literally walked off leaving Roman standing there highly confused. "I was only gone for so long."

"I really do hope I'm wrong, Virgil." Roman sighed as he hugged himself and followed quietly behind there. "I really do."