Waiting

I sat near the window like everyday since I'd come here. Terrence was out hunting with Jacob, but he'd promised that they weren't going to be hunting close to the house so I'd be fine sitting next to the window. I didn't want Jacob to know where I was, I just wanted Nate to find me, that's when I would feel ok.
But it had been a couple of weeks now, almost an entire month since my house burned down. I wondered if Jacob thought I was dead, if he did, I'd just let him think that.
But thinking about the fire made me fidgety, the fire had lead to my dad's death, and I didn't want to think about it. Terrence was a very good listener, but he already knew about my dad's death, and I didn't want to bring it up. His stoic expressions always made it hard for me to convey certain emotions around him.
Though I did learn that he was actually rather sweet. He let me use his bed when he wasn't using it, which he almost never did. Plus he'd tried to make me food, after a few days I'd started making my own food, but it was the thought that counts.
And he even started bringing some meat home from his hunting with Jacob. When I asked if Jacob would get suspicious, he simply told me that he'd tell Jacob he now had a pet. The Alpha wouldn't care to ask about a pet that needed as much meat as a werewolf, hopefully.
I watched out the window when I saw Terrence approach with a good amount of meat in a bag. I couldn't see it, but the smell was there. I watched him approach and he nodded at me through the window. I nodded back a little and continued looking around until he came inside.
"He's not out there." He told me and I sighed.
"Maybe you haven't seen him because he would be trying to avoid you." I suggested, but he shook his head.
"I would have caught his scent around your house." He told me and I went quiet, looking at the ground. The were-vamp paused before putting the bag down and walking over.
"Did he tell you he would be gone this long?" He asked with a small frown.
I nodded but then paused.
"He, said he'd be gone for a while..but he promised he'd come back for me." I told him and Terrence hummed with a frown.
"Sounds like he ditched you."
"He didn't!" I snapped at him with a frown. I would have apologized for snapping, but I wasn't going to let him talk about my mate like that. He would come back for me, I knew he would. I just had to be more patient was all.
Terrence stared at me for a minute before nodding with a sigh.
"Alright, but I wonder how long you're going to wait." He told me as he picked up the meat again.
"I'll leave this on the table if you want to prep it yourself." He told me and I looked at the bag for a minute before humming with a nod.
"I do...thank you Terrence."
"No problem."
He left the room and I looked out the window once again with a sigh. He was right, what was I expecting? Nate to just walk up smiling and waving for me to come out?
It sounded like I was a kid waiting for their friend to come over and play.
I bit back tears as I stared out the window. I'd been sitting here waiting for Nate to find me, why? Because I'd lost my dad? I hadn't had my dad when I was over at the Alpha's house, I didn't have Nate saving me from Jacob. I made it out myself! With some help from Jeanie, even though that wasn't her real name.
"You alright?" Terrence asked making me jump, he'd been standing next to me and I hadn't even noticed. Quickly, I wiped my eyes on my sleeve.
"I'm fine."
"You don't look fine."
"I don't want to talk about it." I frowned looking away from him.
He didn't move.
"I just want Nate to come and get me already..I mean, I'm trying to be patient, but, it's hard."
Terrence sighed.
"I haven't got a trace of him anywhere near the pack lands since he left. Are you sure he's coming back for you?" He asked and I stood up.
"Don't say that!" I glared at him. But the were-vamp just stood where he was, looking down at me.
"Why not? It's been nearly a month, how long does it take for someone to come back for their mate if they mean so much?" He asked and the tears I'd held back broke free.
"Nate loves me! I know he does!" I growled as Terrence stared back at me.
"Alright, then continue to wait for him. I'll keep on alert for him and let you know if I find anything." He told me before reaching a hand to my face and brushing away a tear. I froze softly, his touch was strangely, warm, almost hot.
"Don't cry Moon, I hate seeing you cry." He told me softly as I blinked up at him surprised.
He dropped his hand and nodded to me.
"I'll go on one last patrol, I'll be back soon." He told me and walked back out the door.
I swallowed, a small shiver traveling down my spine, I felt a strange sense of danger. But that sense had begun to dull over the past month, Terrence hadn't hurt me, he wasn't going to. He was trying to help me.
I shoved the feeling aside as I turned towards the kitchen, maybe prepping some meat would take my mind off of everything.