Chapter 9

Nick's prov

Hank drove both of us in our cruiser to Monroes house to interview both him and Maya.

"Do you think that he's telling the truth?" Hank asked me.

"I think so, Monroe isn't one to lie about dangerous situations." I told him to reassure him.

"How bad do you think that his sister was treated? Do you think that she will woge?" Hank asked me, almost like he was also asking himself those same questions.

"We will have to see how badly the abuse was and the lasting effects that it had on her pyscie." I reassured him as we were pulling up to Monroes town house.

Hank and I walked up the steps to the door with a somber atmosphere. When we got to the door, we didn't have to knock as Monroe had seen us coming up.

"Thanks for coming on such short notice. I know that this isn't part of your regular job description but thank you. Nick, she might woge, and what ever you do, please dont make a motion like you are trying to touch her." Monroe told us in a soft voice and a frown on his face like he had the weight of the world apon his shoulders.

"Maya, the detectives are here!" Monroe yelled the stairs to his sister.

A few minutes later a woman no older than 18 walked down the stairs with a worried look apon her face and her left hand grasping her right arm in a tight grip, almost to block her midsection from getting hit. She had a reminisce of a bruise on her face and what looked like scratches apon her exposed skin.

"How are you feeling with talking to us?" Hank asked Maya.

"I'm not really sure, what will you ask me?" Maya asked in a soft voice, her voice sounded akin to a lark or a nightingale.

"Nothing to difficult, we will start out with the easy questions and then get into the harder ones." I told her in a monotonous manner to reassure her that the questions wont be very difficult.

"Ok, can we talk in the livingroom?" Monroe interrupted, trying to make both his sister and himself comfortable with the situation.

"Yes we can." I told him, it seemed like the weight on his shoulders was taken away and he took in a deep breath almost as if it was the his last one for a while and released it in a huff.

"Have a seat." Monroe told us after both him and Maya had settled down on the loveseat across from the couch.

"The first thing that I have ask is when did the abuse start?" I asked in a soft tone, trying not to cause Maya or Monroe to woge.

"It started when I was 10, my so called father started to yell at me all the time after I had first woged a year after Monroe had. After Roe moved out, that was when it started to get physical. He would hit me in any way, shape, or form in places that he knew that my clothing wouldn't expose like my stomach. After I reached the age of either 15 or 16, he started to hit me in other places like the face and leave bruises, cuts, and welts behind." Maya told us while she started to retreat into the side of her brother more and more, to the point that she was almost in his lap.

"I know that this is most likely a useless question, but do you happen to have any photos of the bruises or any other physical evidence?" Hank asked with a calm tone after he had ran his hand down his face like he was trying not to start to cry.

"Yes I do, it's not all of it, but when the abuse really started to pick up, I started to document everything. Every bruise, cut, nick, or welt. I documented it all, let me run up and get it." Maya perked up after Hank had asked his question.

Maya had ran up the stairs to her room and came back down in about 2 or 3 minutes with a manilla envelope.

"Thank you, this will be the last thing that we need." Hank stated as he started to reach for the envelop. Maya dropped it and backed up like she was expecting to get hit. Maya then turned and ran out the front door and into the nation park across the street.

"Seriously, you did the exact thing that I told you not to do!" Monroe all but screamed at Hank.

Monroe then turned to fallow his sister.

"I'll be back, I'm going to run after them." I told Hank just before I ran after the two, following them into the woods.

I followed Monroe into a small clearing when he was embracing his sister, who had tear stains down her face. I stayed in the shadows of the trees, but I could hear what both of them were saying.

"I promise that they won't touch you. They will never have the chance to." Monroe told his sister with his hands on her shoulders.

"What if they do? I don't want to die Roe, I'm scared that they will get me again!" Maya told her brother with fear in her eyes.

After hearing both of their statements, I decided to head back to Monroes house and talk to hank.