{1} The New Recruits

***

***

This was the last thing that Jax wanted to do. All she wanted to do was huddle up in her bed at the school and wallow in her self-pity like she had planned. But Alaric had to ruin that by telling her that she was coming with him and Hope to find a werewolf. She wanted to avoid any contact at that moment, but he had to go and ruin that. She didn't even have time to change into anything. She was wearing Percy's hoodie that still smelled faintly like him. Now it was just incredibly awkward as they drove to where they knew the werewolf was.

The awkwardness was coming from her and Hope. They haven't been talking lately so they didn't know what to do. Some of Hope's family died, making the girl distance herself from others, and Jax has been doing the same thing ever since her boyfriend went missing. She and no one else at her camp, a safe haven for Greek demigods, knew what happened to him. Why would Percy Jackson just up and disappear out of nowhere without telling anyone?

No one has seen him or spoken to him in months. It had been eating Jax up from the inside. She had gotten the news when she returned to school. Jax had closed herself off and was constantly locked up in her room. She just recently started getting out when she went to camp and met these new demigods who came to their camp. Their names were Piper, Jason (Who had some really bad amnesia when he got to the camp), and Leo. Percy had been missing for three days when they found the three new demigods.

Piper was claimed by Jax's mother, Aphrodite, and Leo by Hephaestus. What was really weird was that Jason, who was not only Thalia's (One of Jax's childhood friends) brother, but the son of Jupiter. There was also a safe haven for Roman demigods that was apparently a lot nicer than the camp. It was a lot to take in. There was a quest that the three went on and Jax stayed behind with Annabeth to look for Percy. They came up empty-handed and Jax had to return to the school.

This left us off to now. Jax could feel the awkwardness inside of the car killing her inside. Jax had been close with Hope before everything with Hope's family and Percy happened. Not to mention what happened in the war between the demigods and Kronos' army. Jax ended up losing her favorite half-sister and her childhood friend. They just started distancing themselves from other people, including each other. They had done it for so long that they had no idea how to interact with each other. Jax found herself fiddling with the necklace around her neck to distract her.

Everyone at their camp got a necklace. Each year, they would get a painted bead for surviving another year. Being a demigod meant that you had a short life expectancy, so why not celebrate each year you didn't die? It sounded a little morbid, but Jax didn't mind.

Thankfully, the car ride didn't last much longer as they made it outside of a church. The SUV they were in screeched to a halt in front of the church. The three of them wasted no time getting out. Alaric was carrying a loaded crossbow and a bag full of chains. Jax and Hope had their magic to rely on, as well as Jax's ring that turned into a dagger. She always carried it with her in case something bad were to happen.