Prologue

The night he drove away from Mystic Falls could quite possibly be worst thing he'd ever done to himself. Obviously, he had other matters to attend to in New Orleans, words of a witch planning something against him. This information was given by the lovely Katerina Petrova in exchange for the freedom she so desperately craved from the Original, and so he had granted her that mercy.

Klaus Mikaelson will not be overthrown. He just wouldn't stand for such an idea. He, the original hybrid defeated by a mere witch? He chuckled mercilessly at the ways he would make them suffer. So, with this motive in mind he drove away to see to it the matter be dealt with.

However, he couldn't help but feel distress when he passed the 'leaving Mystic Falls' sign. He had just gotten somewhere with Caroline Forbes, and now he was leaving their story behind him in a town that, quite frankly, wanted nothing to do with him.

Oh, Caroline.

He caught himself smiling at the thought of her. She exuded radiance, her smile that could warm the darkest, coldest of hearts like himself. The memory of him promising her that he would be her last love was still so freshly embedded into his mind.

The look on her face when he did promise her that, however. That's what really got him.

She had looked at him with acceptance. Silently told him with her eyes that yes, she wanted that too. She looked at him with something close to love. Klaus had deemed himself unworthy of such emotion ever since he could remember. Caroline Forbes had given him a little taste, and that terrified him.

He shook these feelings away as fast as they had come to him. Love was a vampire's greatest weakness, he had kept this in mind for as long as he could remember. He had convinced himself that this was for the better. He didn't have a weakness, and he wasn't going to start anytime soon. He laughed at Rebekah Mikaelson for being hopeless, giving her heart to the first boy to call her pretty. Surely, Klaus wasn't as stupid as his sister. He promised to be her last love, but he was breaking the vow the minute he got out of that wretched town.

Humanity. What a weak, delicate thing it was.

—————

Caroline Forbes' was laying in her bed when Tyler had called with excitement an hour before. Klaus was gone. He wasn't coming back.

If this were a few months ago, when Caroline saw nothing but hate at the thought of him, she'd feel happiness at the fact that he was gone from their lives forever. No more worrying that her friends could die any day at his hands, that all the people she loved dearly were finally safe.

But Caroline hated herself for the heartache she was experiencing at the thought of Klaus never coming back. Telling her that he'd show her the world, promising to wait. She scoffed at her naivety, feeling betrayed and stupid to think he was anything less than a heartless monster.

So Caroline put on her happy face, ignoring whatever she had felt for him, and moved on. She was used to not being the first choice, anyways. She could focus this time on her friends' happiness that resulted in his disappearance from their lives forever.

Caroline Forbes was anything but weak. She cherished the parts of her being that made her human more than anything.

But there was a part of her, hidden secretly in the smallest crevice of her heart....that craved darkness. She wanted power, the feeling of being indestructible. She wanted to be ruthless.

Klaus Mikaelson had brought it out of her a little more than she would've liked, but her strong will refused to acknowledge it. And as much as she hated it, she often caught herself thinking how it would feel like, to be the most hostile parts of who she truly was with him. Ruling beside him, being the most feared supernatural beings around.

Which is exactly what happened.