5

{10 years ago}

Caroline felt paralysed. She felt her breathing quicken with Damon's words as she looked down helplessly. The room fell silent, nobody knowing what to say. Elena Gilbert was the first to break it.

"What?" She finally breathed out, her expression gone from concerned to shocked. Caroline felt her eyes water for what seemed like the millionth time.

"I-It was a long time ago," Caroline finally admitted with a cracked voice "It's over now. I swear."

Bonnie was the next to speak up. "He's killed so many of our friends," The witch said with a hurt tone "He's the reason my mom's a vampire, Caroline!"

"He killed Jenna," Elena choked up "He's the reason Alaric is dead, why Jeremy died. How could you?"

The blonde vampire responded with nothing but silent tears, looking around to see if anyone was showing her the least bit of sympathy, but all she could see was disappointment and rage.

"I'm sorry," Caroline said with a small voice "I'm so sorry. I don't know w-what happened."

"I'll tell you what happened," Damon spat out. "You found someone who'd give you the time of day, and God knows poor Caroline Forbes is never the one that anyone chooses."

Caroline didn't feel angry at his words like she did the day before. She felt daggers in her chest, merely looking down at her shoes. She didn't bother trying to cease her tears because Damon was right. He wanted her to hurt, and he did just that with the truth. non of her other friends stood up for her either. Not even Stefan, who usually was the one person in her life that she could always rely on. His face shone with distress and disappointment like all the others, which made Caroline's heart clench even more.

"It's over now," She tried saying "I swear he's gone."

"Caroline," Stefan spoke up for the first time. She looked at him with tear stricken eyes. "You still felt something for the person who's caused so much pain to all of us. To me."

"I-I know."

Elena looked at Caroline blankly. "It was because of him, wasn't it?" She questioned "The reason why you started acting like that. Like him."

Caroline looked at Elena with a broken gaze. Oh, how badly she wanted to let it all out, to tell everyone how she liked it. She liked showing her hostility, her rage...her bloodlust that was so hidden inside.

It wasn't because of him. I don't know why I started acting like that." She replied meekly. Liar. She knew perfectly well why, but she kept it to herself in efforts for redemption.

"But you've never done that before," She countered "The Caroline I know wouldn't dare be like that."

"I don't know what else I can say besides that it's over. It's been over ever since he left"

"Then what's this?"

Caroline whipped around to see Damon dangling what looked like a piece of paper, quickly realising what he meant when he turned it around. That was her paper. Her drawing she kept so near to her heart.

No. Please, no.

"Thank you for your honesty," Damon said with a grin as sadistic as ever. "From Klaus."

Elena quickly snatched the parchment from Damon's hands, looking over at what was drawn incredulously. Her expression went from disappointed to angry as she roughly slammed the drawing onto the table, looking over at Caroline.

"It's over, huh?" The doppelgänger laughed humourlessly. "How many more lies does it have to take for you to really let go of him?"

Caroline was paralysed with regret and sadness building itself up. She wanted to disappear, to tear into a human's throat until it didn't hurt anymore. Anything to make it not hurt anymore.