7

{10 years ago}

Caroline Forbes felt a degree of satisfaction when she finally packed her things. Just the necessities, of course.  Hair curler, clothes, blood bags and vervain in case any vampire's attempted to get in her way. She could annoyingly name a few, which is why she needed to get out of here as fast as she could.

Not that she was scared of fighting off her supernatural counterparts. No, Caroline just couldn't be bothered with the whole ordeal. New York was only a few hours away, and the sooner she left the better.

She was zipping up her suitcase when her eye caught something. That wretched piece of parchment on which she was perfectly drawn. Caroline scoffed. Guess she could thank Klaus for one thing. If he hadn't drawn that, she would still be a girly little vampire with her humanity in tact. She quickly stuffed it in one of her bags, paying no mind to it after that.

Caroline thought it was pathetic, really, how she couldn't keep him out of her head even with her emotions turned off. Whatever, it's not like i'm gonna see him again.

With all of her things packed and ready to go, Caroline hastily went out the door, throwing her suitcase in the backseat of her car when she reached it. Slamming the door shut, she looked over her home with lifeless eyes from the drivers seat, not knowing that this was one of the last times she would ever see it. Not that she cared, anyways.

With that being done, Caroline started up the engine, finally driving away to the freedom she so craved.

***

Elena Gilbert's home was only full of silence as they stood in the wake of Caroline's outburst.

"Who knew Caroline had that in her." Damon spoke up in efforts to diffuse the silence. Nobody knew the right thing to say, and why would they? The sweet blonde girl they all knew was gone without a trace.  

"She'll get over whatever she's going through," Bonnie began to reason "I mean it's Caroline. What harm could she do?" Elena whisked her head around, beginning to take in the reality of what had just happened.

"It's Klaus. It's his influence," the Doppelgänger began to say thoughtfully "She wouldn't be like this is she had some sense to leave him alone." The room hummed in unision, silently agreeing with Elena.

"What else did all of you expect? She'd go to the first man to call her pretty. It's kinda sad, actually," Damon said with disdain as he made his way to the couch. Elena shot him a look, but didn't bother defending her friend because she silently agreed with the words coming out.

Everyone did.

"I just can't believe Klaus of all people," Elena complained "He tried to kill me multiple times. How could she be so careless?"

"I actually thought she had better taste," Damon said amusedly, a hostile look in his eyes "I mean she did go for me-"

"I never knew how hypocritical all of you were until now."

Stefan Salvatore finally spoke up, his tone was as fed up as they'd ever heard him. The room turned their heads in unison, taking in the words that were spoken with surprise.

Damon immediately stood up from the couch, his expression an amused one as he walked towards his only sibling. "Go ahead and enlighten us, brother" His eyes shone with a twisted curiosity "On how we are the hypocrites."

Stefan scoffed, shaking his head as he walked past Damon. He needed to say this to everyone, because it wasn't just his older brother that was acting like he was completely innocent and wouldn't dare cause harm, but all of Caroline's former friends.