12

{10 years ago}

Standing in her room felt heavy.

The rest of the group continued to frantically search for clues on Caroline's disappearance, but Klaus only stood in the midst of where she used to live, as if he'd lost something near to his heart.

Of course he had. She lost her light, and it felt as if he lost a part of himself with it. Hypocrite, Klaus growled to himself. He'd left her in the first place purely due to the ignorance of wanting to protect her here, and look how that had turned out.

Her room still smelled like her. That distinct vanilla/rose perfume wavered in the air still. Evidence of her essence, eerily haunting him.

Elena's whiny voice suddenly cut through his thoughts.

"She took everything!"

Obviously she made sure to take everything that could lead to any clues of her disappearance. Caroline wasn't daft as her friends thought of her.

"Of course she did" Stefan murmured, faintly touching the picture frames that were left behind. She was smiling.

"Well what the bloody hell are we supposed to do now?"

Rebekah was noticeably distressed by the ordeal, desperately trying to look for something that could lead them to Caroline. Klaus didn't say a word, only taking in what was left of his love.

"I still have that thing i told you about?" Stefan reminded her gently, trying not to aggravate her further. "The teddy bear."

"Are you serious?" She retorted. "A teddy bear? That's the answer to all our problems?"

Stefan knew all too well that it was the answer. That stuffed animal meant something to Caroline, ever since she made him go out to the woods to dig the poor thing out. He lightly smiled at the thought. She was so full of light.

"I can do a tracking spell on it," Bonnie spoke up hopefully. "As long as it's personal."

"It is personal"

Rebekah scoffed, retreating back to the front lawn of Caroline's now vacant home. Klaus eyed his sister warily. Only she would be so vain.

Elena turned to Bonnie, who was still scouring the room in search of something that could help in tracking the vampire.

"You ready to do the spell, Bon?" She asked impatiently. The witch nodded grimly in response, gently tracing Caroline's dresser.

Klaus found himself lost in the thoughts of the events that had led him to this moment. Caroline turning it off, her sudden disappearance from this life to another bloodthirsty one. All because he wasn't there, because he'd let his selfishness get in the way of the only chance of happiness he had. It ate him alive.

"Well then what the hell are we waiting for?" Damon's voice suddenly cut through. "Let's find that damn teddy bear."

————

"Still not telling me shit, huh?"

Katherine hid a grin from the drivers seat, an arm occupied with a bloodbag. "Sorry, cupcake. My mouth is closed"

Caroline knew that she couldn't trust Katherine with anything. This was the self proclaimed "Manipulative Bitch" herself. She had to tread carefully.

"I don't trust you, Katherine" She huffed in her seat. "So spill. Where the hell are we going?"

"Here I thought we were friends," The vampire replied dryly. "I'm not driving you to your death. I don't think so, at least."

She froze in her seat, icily staring at the curly headed brunette at the mention of death.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" She demanded strongly, hands on the car door. "I'll jump out of this car-"

Katherine huffed deeply, rolling her eyes at Caroline's dramatics. "You need to relax. I was hoping you were a little less neurotic as an emotionless vampire but i guess not."

"Damn it-"

But before she could finish her sentence, the car came to a stiffening halt. The doppelgänger gave one of her infamous smirks as she started to get out.

The pair of them stopped in front of nothing but empty fields and no sign of life anywhere.

"Are you going to come or what?" Katherine called out annoyingly. "You're the one who wanted to know where we were going."

Caroline rolled her eyes, hesitantly opening the car door in anticipation for something or someone, to kill her. Nothing jumped out at first, but she wasn't the one to take chances. Not anymore.

The vampire slowly started to take out the vervain shot she'd carried on her for times like these. The brunette stood a few feet away, still examining the surroundings as if there were something to look at.

It happened fast after that.

Caroline used her inhumane speed for Katherine, a syringe tightly gripped in one hand as she flashed over to the doppelgänger. She was seemingly the invested in her surroundings, but knew all too well never to turn her back for too long.

Quickly realising what the emotionless vampire's intentions were, she reacted fast, flashing behind the blonde as she was about to attack. Swiftly taking the syringe from her grip, she released her hold.

"Seriously?" Katherine rolled her eyes as she toyed with the vervain in her hand. "Can you be anymore neurotic?"

"Do you blame me?" Caroline growled at her obvious fail. "You've tried to kill me multiple times-"

"If i wanted to kill you, blondie, i would've already. Now shut up and stop being so paranoid."

She huffed, leaning against the car as her counterpart continued assessing the empty place. It was driving her crazy.

"Can you please tell me what the fuck you're looking for?" Caroline groaned. "There is literally nothing here-"

"Funny how I distinctly remember telling you to shut it, and yet here you are doing the exact opposite" Katherine retorted with an annoyed expression.

She rolled her eyes, toying with the strays of her jacket sleeves. The doppelgänger may be infuriating, but she wasn't stupid. There was something here. Something Katherine wanted, and she wasn't leaving until she got exactly that.

The blonde was about to shoot another comment after ten minutes of deafening silence, when the vampire suddenly threw her vervain syringe into the empty field. Caroline looked at her incredulously at first, but her gaze was quickly averted to what stood in front of the pair of them now.

It was a seemingly abandoned home, standing in the place of what was emptiness, with an eerie porch swing that reminded the vampire too much of her own home. It'd appeared out of nowhere, but she knew it was bewitched. Cloaking spell.

Katherine looked victorious, obviously proud of herself for figuring the dilemma out.

"Great, you figured it out!" Caroline spoke sarcastically, eyeing the place warily "Mind explaining?"

The brunette only gave a mischievous expression in return, her infamous smirk evident as she stepped onto the steps that ascended into the abandoned home.

"Welcome to the Gemini Coven, cupcake."