Eleven | Can You Tell Me My Name?

Ciara  felt relief when she saw a big man sitting alone near the entrance at the lower camp.   He had to be TJ.  At least, she hoped he was.  She stepped forward and murmured a polite, "Excuse me." 

The man jolted at the sound of her voice.  "Whoops! Hello. Nearly fell off my seat. You've caught me napping."  He gave her a toothy smile.  "How can I help you?"

She needed a lot of help, but what sort of help should she ask for first?  "Um. I'm not sure where I am."

TJ leaned forward on his stump. "Yes, it's disorienting the first day of lessons. Where should you be?"

"I don't know—I think I might be in a different class than this."

"Class?"  His eyebrows pulled together in confusion.  "Oh, right, Circle. When were you assigned? Which village and clan?"

"Er—I don't know.  Everything here is so new and different.  I think I am lost."

"Let me guess—you came up the Snakehead path? That always happens. You wind up going left and then, by the time you realize, you're too far off the trail to find the way back."

"Maybe.  But to be honest, I don't know where this place is. —At all.  I don't know how I got here or where I came from.  I was suddenly... here."

"I see." The big man looked at her with interest sparkling in his eyes. "That's curious."

"I might remember—flying, wings, maybe—" She hesitated. "—a dragon?"

She'd expected him to make light of her story.  It sounded strange, even to her.  But instead, he looked concerned as he whispered a low, "Oh, dear." Pausing to scratch his chin, he asked, "Where did you see this?"

"I fell—"

"Oh, you hurt yourself!" The man's face eased, and he let out a sigh of relief. "Have you seen to it? Been to the healer?" The robed man took a step toward her.

Ciara heard Skye-voice boom in her mind without warning. I'll look after her!

And clearly, TJ had heard too. Oh, not you again.  His words were loud and clear, even though his lips never moved.

Ciara's eyes grew round as marbles.  They're not just magicians.  They can talk to each other in their minds!  I heard them.  Both of them!  Talking to each other! 

TJ had been so kind when speaking to Ciara, but to Skye, his demeanour changed drastically.  We can't hurry this process and I remind you—yet again—you are not in our Guild, Sir.

It clicked in Ciara's mind that TJ did not know much more about Skye-voice than she did herself.  Somehow, realizing this made her feel much better.

But she is my 'sign'.

She is—?

"I am—?" Ciara spoke loudly in her surprise.

Skye-voice ignored her and focused on TJ.   Yes, you agreed to get your Council onto making some progress, if I produced it—I mean, her, and now—here she issss!

You brought her here then?

Of course, I did. You wanted a sign, so she'll be my Proxy.

"What part of her is the sign?" TJ asked, looking skeptically at Ciara as he spoke aloud. "I'd need proof for the Guild."

Why, just look at this—

Ciara could feel Skye's shimmer beginning to vibrate around her, and TJ stared at her with widening eyes. Ciara had no idea what he could be looking at now that would surprise him. They'd already spoken.

But deep in her mind, the more the vibration increased, the better she could hear TJ's thinking. She observed each of his thoughts, as he looked her over.

She's part of the rainbow! She's blending right in!

"Oh-oh—" Ciara was tingling.

The air felt clean and almost electric, but then softened as Ciara grew accustomed to the feeling. Her senses were heightened. She could hear the quiet throat sounds of a thrush talking to her babies, while geese in the small marsh below rippled the waters ducking their heads to pull at the weeds on the bottom. She could smell and almost taste all the flavours of nature.

Ciara could hear TJ thinking, Would the Guild agree, this could be a sign—? Hmmm. Certainly bright—colourful—

Then she heard the students coming before they even arrived in the glade.

One voice she realized was not on the wind. "Hey, I feel the new girl." But somehow Ciara sensed Sadie was ahead of the pack and talked to herself. I hope I'm right! She is here. Ciara could feel Sadie's presence and almost smiled, but then all the children caught up and rushed in.

And at the same time, she felt a massive force shift in Skye's intentions; and—whoosh— Ciara's senses suddenly lost their grip on her surroundings as the world around her grew cold and black.  

≈≈≈/