Twelve | Maybe a Sign?

The Runyons watched the policemen stomp around the marsh and the farm. The dragonfly observed them from high among leaves, wishing Ciara was close.

"We've got a sign! You were right, young man. Ciara fell in the stream."

"I know!"

"A river map of the currents led us right to her lunch remnants, we think. Or else some birds carried it off. Coulda wanted the tin foil—all shiny and such."

"So where's Ciara?" Arvid demanded to know.

"Looks like she might've gone back off to school."

"Or she could be in the stream?" Mrs. Runyon looked stricken as she clutched her husband.

"No, the crow looks like it picked up her sandwich a ways inland, we already know. So—not to worry."

Arvy was doubtful. "And she walked to school all the way from inland?" He met his father's eyes.

The detective remained practical. "It's all we've got for now, but it's a beginning. We'll start a new search."

"There's no bad news yet.  I'm sure she's fine," Mr. Runyon consoled Mrs. Runyon. "She'll find someone and ask them to call home, very soon. Don't worry, Bets."

"You're right.  Someone will notice her.  They'll call.  She'll be fine."  Mrs. Runyon said the words as though she were trying to convince herself. 

The policeman walked off and got into his car, tipping his hat as he took it off to duck in. "We'll call, as soon as we have any word."

≈≈≈/