Twenty | Chances of Flight

Going down was a lot harder at TJ's pace. Lower Camp was where he intended to start. TJ didn't look back. Ciara hurried to catch up.

Suddenly, there was such a rush of air, she almost fell over.

Skye, settle down!

This is my chance. This is my chance.

No—this isn't your chance.

I've waited for this. You're going to the hill top!

I'm only going to the camps.

I heard him ssssay, Counccccil—

She mumbled, aloud, but quietly out of earshot and only to Skye, "But I'm just observing the camps—"

The rest of the conversation happened half in mind-voice and half out loud.

But that'sss where they are!

Who are?

The Council are up there—some of the magi would have to be there—I thinkkk!

Ciara slipped, kicking loose some rocks that caused a small slide of shale down the mountain. "How long have you been here, Skye?"

Too long—don't ask! Embarrasssssing.

"How do you even know the Council are up there?" She was so winded that she slipped again.

"Are you all right—?" TJ called back, from way ahead of her.

"Yeeeess—"

"I'll slow down."

Ciara didn't answer. And why can't TJ hear you when you're talking to me? He did before.

Connecting is a sssubtle art—inssstinctive. Another time for that, perhapss.  Because I watch the magi coming and going, so where elsssse could they be? I must know, mustn't I?

"Right," said Ciara. "Well, maybe they're in there, but I'm only going to the camps to solve a riddle, so I doubt I'll see any Council people—persons—or magi."

But you could!

No, I likely won't.

Could. There was silence. Er—could you? You could try.

"Skye! Really. Just wait. I don't know what I'm doing—"

I thought you were qualified. What do you mean?

Qualified? For what?

You are the Sign!

What? What is this 'sign' business? Ciara was too out of breath to use her own voice, again now.

It's your calling—it's how you arrived.

Arrived? You know where I'm from?

I watched you. You flew in by the currents over the valley gorge and the lowlands. You glinted like rainbows in the sunlight as you landed and you folded your wings.

My what—! What?

Your wings, beautiful wings—white wings. You're the symbol of hope. All the white creatures are. That's why we practice.

A memory was stirring now. Whitestuff?

And suddenly Ciara knew. Whitestuff, her friend—he had brought her to—here.

"But flying, he was much bigger—"

≈≈≈/