Chapter 11

Over the next couple months, Athens both grew bigger and weaker. The more pale the got, the more worried Caius got. No one knows what she spoke with Didyme about, but they all know Didyme knows a lot.

It's been almost three months and Athens is huge. But she's so weak, she can barely move.

Right now, she is sitting in Caius's throne. Athens gasps as her baby breaks another rib and Aro listens as her pulse drops.

"Here," Marcus says as he walks in with a cup. "Human blood; try it."

Athens reaches a shaky hand out and she grabs it. "Right now, for the baby, I'll try any..." she gasps as the baby bites something inside "...thing."

Athens takes the clear straw into her lips and sucks some human blood into her mouth. Caius is holding Athens's one free hand while Jane and Alec watch helplessly, wishing there was something they could do.

Athens hasn't spoken with the Cullens since that day in the cemetery when she RSVP'd to Edward and Bella's wedding.

"Alec, Jane, can you help me stand?" Athens asks as Caius goes to dispose of the cup. "I... i need to stand."

The twins rush over and they help a very weak Athens stand. They help her down the steps.

"I've been pondering over baby names," Athens admits and she looks eight at Marcus. "For a girl, Didyme Marisol Volturi."

Marcus closes his eyes at this, smiling. Aro even smiles a little.

"For a boy, Roberto Wayne Volturi," she says.

Sulpicia lost a child as a human, stillborn. She named him Roberto. Sulpicia smiles lovingly at the human and suddenly, Athens's spine snaps in two. Alec vamp speeds forward and he catches Athens before she can hit the floor as she gasps in pain.

"Call Antonio, and get her to medical!" Aro demands.

Alec picks up the future queen and everyone rushes to the other side of the castle where Antonio is waiting. He grabs a scalpel and he looks at Athens.

"Are you ready to see your baby?" Antonio asks.

Athens nods and Toni slices into Athens's lower abdomen. Athens screams at the sudden pain, forgetting she had no numbing medication. Caius flinches outside at the sound, he couldn't be inside and around her blood. Marcus promised to turn her if she needed turning.

"Alec, I need you to bite through the womb," Toni demands. "Get the baby out before it suffocated, hurry!"

Alec bites his way through the bloody insides of Athens. He makes it through and Antonio reaches into the womb and pulls out a baby.

Antonio holds the baby up and shows it to an even weaker Athens. "It's a girl."

Antonio lays baby Didyme in Athens's arms and Athens smiles weakly at her daughter. Marcus smiles, too, which is a rare sight. Didyme bites her mother and Toni grabs Didyme.

Athens makes one last weak noise before her heartbeat stops. Marcus flinches but he bites her several times. Where they didn't use morphine, Marcus's venom should pass through Athens pretty quickly.
*****.

Jane carries Didyme into the throne room where Caius has been hiding out at. He rises his head at the opening and closing doors. Caius stands when he spots Jane and his daughter, and he flashes over.

"Didyme," Caius whispers as he takes his daughter into his arms.

"Didyme Marisol Volturi," Jane coos as she looks at the baby. "Would you like a moment with Didyme?"

"Please, Jane," Caius replies as he walks back up to the stage and sits in his throne, Didyme held securely in his arms.

"Of course, master," Jane says and she quickly leaves.

Caius looks down at his daughter who was born today... August 6, 2011. (That's the date in the book, not in real life). Didyme has a head full of blonde hair like Caius but dark eyes like Athens. She's so tiny.

"How did I create you?" Caius whispers as he stares at his daughter with his crimson eyes. "I don't understand... You're so... Innocent and so pure and I'm so... I'm so evil."

Aro stands outside of the throne room, listening. He smiles.

"But I want you to know, Didyme, that you have a huge family surrounding you," Caius says. "Powerful parents, and powerful uncles. You're going to grow up strong, powerful. You're a princess."

Aro enters the room and Caius looks up quickly. "Hello, brother."

"Aro," Caius greets. "Come meet Didyme."

Aro walks over and he looks down at the newborn baby. "I wonder how she will age."

Caius looks down at Didyme, too. "I guess we'll find out... Marcus should hold her. She got her name after his dead wife."

Aro nods. "I'll go find him."
*****

Marcus sits in his throne with a goofy grin on his face as he holds Didyme, happy that at least she survived this situation. Caius and Aro watch in amazement and so does the adult Didyme's ghost.